Recommend me somewhere to visit - near M4/M25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
On Tuesday I have to drive to London. I don't need to be there until early evening, and I have the day off. I thought I might take advantage by visiting somewhere on the route (or within 20-30 miles of the route).
Route is M4 from Bristol, then M25 to South Mimms. Somewhere east of Swindon would be best, as places west of there are fairly easy to get to from home.
I like stately homes, especially if they have nice gardens, or other historic things.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You might have heard of a little castle in Windsor....

More helpfully, Cliveden (house not open), Grey's Court near Henley, Waddesdon and Hughenden are all NT places worth a visit and roughly in criteria. Stowe is probably a bit too far but has a fantastic park. Or St Alban's (abbey, Roman museum, remains of amphitheatre) is a lovely town.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Greys Court looks good.
Blenheim Palace itself is closed on Tuesday. I think I went there decades ago, but worth going again at some other time.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
As mentioned Windsor Castle. If gardens are your thing then RHS gardens at Wisley are supposed to be very pretty at this time of year.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Greys Court looks good.
Blenheim Palace itself is closed on Tuesday. I think I went there decades ago, but worth going again at some other time.

Ahh ,not worth it just for the gardens with the travel.

Ive just done St Albans ,very nice as said above

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Grey's Court has the advantage of being National Trust, too, and I'm a member. When I pay to visit Blenheim, I'll need to have enough time to get my full money's worth!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'll second what @cosmicbike says. Wisely is without equal, especially at this time of year.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Middle class service stations. We travel the length of the country with a small child and use the NT for convenient rest stops.

Indeed,free parking a nice place for lunch and far far cheaper than a service's.

Diesel at Peterborough services is currently £139.9 !! Disgusting rip off shyte bags

Top Bottom