Recommend me somewhere to visit - near M4/M25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you’re going near South Mimms then St Albans is worth a visit. A great cathedral and lots of nice parks, shops etc.
Are we still getting TMNs?

Greys Court looks good.
Blenheim Palace itself is closed on Tuesday. I think I went there decades ago, but worth going again at some other time.
You can almost certainly cycle through the grounds though. They have daft rules about you supposedly not doing, but sod that - had breakfast there on the bike last year and fired up the espresso pot by the lake. Wonderful. Can send you info on a good gate to get through if you want. Then you can cycle out through the main gate giving them a cheery wave.

Pedestrian access is free though they like to obscure this fact.

As above, windsor great park is wonderful for cycling through. It's massive. No daft rules about bikes but cars are not allowed in most of it.

Can also recommend in that neck of the woods the air force memorial - wonderful spot, rather moving - used to be a regular stop on rides i used to lead london to windsor. All appreciated it i think apart from a posy german, stress on posy.
https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/109600/runnymede-memorial

You can by the way walk up on to the top to see the rather more peaceful planes taking off in the distance from Heathrow. Lots of individual memorials around the base, many recently tended with flowers, letters etc from relatives. Not just Brits, folk from all over.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

As above, windsor great park is wonderful for cycling through. It's massive. No daft rules about bikes but cars are not allowed in most of it.
There are a couple of cycling restrictions in Windsor Great Park:
Cycling is not permitted on the Long Walk itself, or in The Valley Gardens - so please plan your return route to Virginia Water car park to avoid cycling through this area

yes, true, though I am pretty sure I have actually cycled down the Long Walk.

I was also politely told not to cycle on a bit of grassy park when I went to look at a bit of interesting sculpture. I think the chap who told me this must have appeared out of a bush. I complied. It is mostly a cycling wonderland though as I'm sure you'll agree - and truly massive - I discovered a new bit of it only recently when doing a long cycle London to Wokingham to pick up an ebay bought espresso maker.

A walk in Burnham Beeches. Very nice. Used to walk there a fair bit at lunchtimes from a job which often did my head in - though never safe - distinctive car parked in a gateway once spotted by a bleedin' client!

A place there called Egypt - though I think they no longer put the sign there as it kept getting nicked.

Find the cottage this interesting soul lived in - book recommended

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/14/secret-diary-mass-observation-passionate-spinster

I must have actuallly driven past that place many times - in fact it's image is in the back of my head somewhere - must have somehow sensed something about it, as you sometimes do - though she would have been dead by then.

Top Bottom