Recommend Outdoor Security Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
In the end I went with this. Mounted high up and away from obvious sight lines it seems to work OK

1681989405456.png

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Does it go to your phone via internet? Is it free to view recorded footage?

Yes - all operated from the phone via my WiFi router. I put an SD card into the slot in the camera and it records on motion activation. I can play it back on the phone. I've set up an area for the motion activation to pick up people on the drive rather than bits of the garden which are also in the frame. It does infrared at night and will be triggered to illuminate in visible too. Didn't cost a huge amount. Something like £55 and it does what I need it to. I fitted it all myself with an outside cable I'd left dangling (safely) from an upgrade to the garage mains. I bought an appropriately specced weather proof box for the mains power unit that powers the camera and came as part of the kit. That power supply isn't properly weather proof so needed a box. If you aren't competent to do mains wiring you'll need to pay a man who is.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Yes - all operated from the phone via my WiFi router. I put an SD card into the slot in the camera and it records on motion activation. I can play it back on the phone. I've set up an area for the motion activation to pick up people on the drive rather than bits of the garden which are also in the frame. It does infrared at night and will be triggered to illuminate in visible too. Didn't cost a huge amount. Something like £55 and it does what I need it to. I fitted it all myself with an outside cable I'd left dangling (safely) from an upgrade to the garage mains. I bought an appropriately specced weather proof box for the mains power unit that powers the camera and came as part of the kit. That power supply isn't properly weather proof so needed a box. If you aren't competent to do mains wiring you'll need to pay a man who is.

Since the SD card slots into the camera itself, then obviously the camera needs to be mounted somewhere well out of reach.

Drago

Legendary Member
There is little evidence that CCTV acts as a deterrent to crime. Scumbags tend not to think further ahead than the commission of the act, and the few that do will simply pull their hoods up.

It is also a pretty poor detection tool, with the average CCTV based detection being reckoned to cost an average of £800,000, the cost of the cameras divided by the number of detections.

Where is really scores is reassurance. Anywhere in the world I can whip my phone out and provided I have a signal I can check the cameras and reassure myself that all is well, and that really is priceless.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Another user of EUFY here (Eufycam 2C).

They have various Cameras (in door and outdoor) and a video door bell. Footage is captured to an SD card in the chime (Doorbell), or, a storage device shared by the camera units (Cameras), no subscription required. I have the cordless cameras, with a small solar panel for each camera, battery life depends on level of activity (ie movement detections), in winter, I need to recharge the battery about every two months, in summer about. every 4-5 months (that is in northern England!).

Footage can be viewed from Phone (or Tablet), anywhere you have an internet connection.

I also have an indoor IMOU Camera. Very impressive, for approximately £20!.

I would agree with @Drago , I doubt cameras deter the scumbags, although, I have once been asked for the footage from my front door camera, by Police, because a neighbours car had been broken in to (no idea if the footage helped apprehend the potential thief). IMHO, being able to view our house, inside and out, when away from home, does provide some re-assurance.

Milzy

Guru
There is little evidence that CCTV acts as a deterrent to crime. Scumbags tend not to think further ahead than the commission of the act, and the few that do will simply pull their hoods up.

It is also a pretty poor detection tool, with the average CCTV based detection being reckoned to cost an average of £800,000, the cost of the cameras divided by the number of detections.

Where is really scores is reassurance. Anywhere in the world I can whip my phone out and provided I have a signal I can check the cameras and reassure myself that all is well, and that really is priceless.

You are correct. 50 grand BMW taken from street 2 weeks ago. Young kid broke in the house and got the key. Now they have metal bollards which must be annoying to unlock all the time. They only caught the kid when he writ off the gorgeous car a few miles away where he’d walked up from.
CCTV is more for spying on general activity like did the postman really leave your parcel in the bin or dog crapping.

D

Deleted member 26715

Few years ago the son was given a couple of big car batteries which he was going to weigh in, instead of putting them round the back he put them underneath a car we had up on ramps, the cameras show a white transit pickup go up the road, then slowly back past the house again. They stopped & reversed back, one lad jumped out, looked up at both cameras, grinned at one of them, then pretended to speak to somebody inside the house through the lounge window, then gave a thumbs up, went under the car, took out both batteries, grinned again for the camera & walked to the pickup with them.

Pretty sure his version would have been somebody in the house told him he could take them.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

I never thought I'd need one but we have an ongoing issue with my daughter's ex. My daughter and I are in court tomorrow giving evidence. If this silly person continues with his harassment then times can be logged and further action can be taken. He's broken bail conditions several times already. Also I can look to see who is at the door and won't answer if it's this person. He has been violent with folks too. So I'm not deterring but rather observing/logging and managing the situation.

One thing of benefit I got was a parcel delivery person delivered while I was out. No notification through the door. Parcel was left in a well out of sight place (I'd walked right past it) and I retrieved it easily after playing back the footage. :thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
I never thought I'd need one but we have an ongoing issue with my daughter's ex. My daughter and I are in court tomorrow giving evidence. If this silly person continues with his harassment then times can be logged and further action can be taken. He's broken bail conditions several times already. Also I can look to see who is at the door and won't answer if it's this person. He has been violent with folks too. So I'm not deterring but rather observing/logging and managing the situation.
Good luck for tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

Top Bottom