Recommend Outdoor Security Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hi Y'awl.

I'm having issues at my front door and would like to be able to see and record (sometimes) who is there without opening the door. I'm not keen on cloud storage for the record aspect and would probably prefer a mains powered one. Would need night vision and ability to view on my smart phone. Basic stuff would suit me.

What are your recommendations please?

TIA

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My across the landing neighbourgh has a Kamep (2022 version) camera door bell from Amazon.
It's dead cool, they can see anyone in the landing from their phone.
Once I was cleaning it (the landing, not the camera lol), a voice said "Paaat, I can see you ... we are in Edinburgh ...!"
I want one too now, to shout at DTP when they don't leave the parcels.
They only have to USB recharge once every few months, takes a couple of hours.

My across the landing neighbourgh has a Kamep (2022 version) camera door bell from Amazon.
It's dead cool, they can see anyone in the landing from their phone.
Once I was cleaning it (the landing, not the camera lol), a voice said "Paaat, I can see you ... we are in Edinburgh ...!"
I want one too now, to shout at DTP when they don't leave the parcels.
They only have to USB recharge once every few months, takes a couple of hours.

If they can see you from Edinburgh then I suspect they have cloud storage
Which I agree with you not wanting

Most do seem to have this along with the associated 'very reasonable' subscriptions
I would suggest working out the total annual cost and checking out the IT security aspects before buying something like this!

I have heard stories about Ring being easy to hack for the sort of people who know about that stuff - I suspect it not as true as it seems - but there are certainly a lot of cheaper camera systems out there that have embedded fixed password and can be easily accessed
especially baby monitors!!!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
If you’re looking at doorbell cameras Eufy works quite well. The price was about £90 I think for the 1080p version. Mine needs no subscription for basic use and has local recording to a micro SD card in the chime. You can subscribe for long term cloud storage and clever AI features if you want or need them but the on board human detection and alerting to Android phones is pretty reliable. Being battery powered it only records once motion/humans are detected. I’m six months into ownership and I’m still only on my second recharge, even using the high quality and detection reliability settings. There is an option to use existing bell wiring to power it if you prefer.

If you want something a bit more CCTV-like, perhaps a dome camera with 24/7 recording, bear in mind that even if it uses WiFi for transmission it will still need to be powered in some way. That means you will need to think about placing it somewhere you can get a cable to. Some cameras will take an internal memory card but others will expect to stream to a networked recorder.

siadwell

Guru
Mine needs no subscription for basic use and has local recording to a micro SD card in the chime.
This is a good feature. No point having storage in the doorbell unit when it can easily be ripped off the wall/doorframe.
One I was looking at is EZVIZ DP2, which replaces the peephole viewer in the door. On the inside of the door is a screen and the storage. Mediocre reviews put me off though.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mine needs no subscription for basic use and has local recording to a micro SD card in the chime.

The indoor storage is something I would definitely require now you've pointed it out. My "cause for concern" may well rip something off the wall and chuck it. Indeed maybe a high up wall mounted camera would be better.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve got 4 mains powered outdoor security cameras that connect wirelessly to an NVR (network video recorder) in my house. The NVR has its own storage and does not use a cloud service, however it still connects to the internet so that I can monitor my cameras from anywhere on my mobile phone. I purchased my system (made by Smonet) from Amazon about 3 years ago and while the one I’ve got is no longer available, Amazon seem to have a number of similar ones available. They are relatively inexpensive to buy and since they do not use a cloud service then there are no subscription charges. Also, being wireless they are relatively easy to install.

PS The cameras have night vision and the quality is pretty impressive for such a relatively low cost system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom