Mobile phone security question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Please don't think "bl**dy he'll, its him again".......but I always get good advice here.

I have a Samsung smart phone and my daughter is going to load the banking app onto it......but apparently I need some decent security before we do this.

On my laptop I have had AVG free version for years but the only AVG she can find can find will cost a whole one pound per month**. Obviously not a problem BUT...........does anyone know of a good free one I can install ?
**I will only use the bank app to check my balance as I draw cash from the local post office when I need some.
Thanks.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
tell her to look again AVG do a free android security app.

Sophos Intercept and Avast Mobile Security along with AVG are Which?'s top 3 rated free mobile anti virus apps.

How old is your Samsung ? I have banking apps on my Android One Plus with no issues at all. No need for McAfee or anything - but I do need my fingerprint for it and then some steps extra.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How old is your Samsung ? I have banking apps on my Android One Plus with no issues at all. No need for McAfee or anything - but I do need my fingerprint for it and then some steps extra.

Probably 2 years old......got it from my son as he switched to iPhone.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Perhaps, she has just been lucky, but, Mrs @BoldonLad has been using Bank Apps (Santander, Nationwide and TSB) on various Samsung Android phones (Galaxy. S6 thru to S10) for well over 10 years, no additional security beyond that provided by the standard operating system, without any problems.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
3 members of our family have Samsung / pixel and all use phone banking without buying anything extra. Just use the security on the app / two step authentication etc

indeed most people do, but if the security app is free then it buys extra piece of mind for nothing, and that's worth its weight nano sim cards

I would also say that as long as the phone is failry new then the security updates will be enough

but only because the banking apps on phones are pretty secure in themselves - if there are options for 2 factor authorisation then use that - but I assume that is normally the default.

Having said that I never use banking apps - I only use my laptop for banking because there is far more chance of a phone getting stolen as it goes out and about with me
I also have a habit of loosing track of it for several days at a time!!!! I have always found it at home but........

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Set the phone so that it locks at the earliest setting and set up fingerprints to open it.

Make sure the banking app uses two factor authentication - basically the app will text you a code to enter into the app, hence why you should have the fingerprint set up, that way if someone gets hold of the phone it is useless to them, if some hacked the banking app it is useless to them without the phone.

Top Bottom