Recommend pump for Brompton - mini/lightweight Lezyne or Topeak ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Do you have a steel rear triangle? If so, the Brompton pump is designed to fit and is well made (Truflo/Zefal).

Titanium bikes have no pump clips and Brompton include the lack of a pump in the quoted weight saving!

I’m trying to source a pump for my 2001 Brompton which doesn’t have the fittings on the triangle for the later Zefal. I’m struggling to find out what was originally fitted.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I’m trying to source a pump for my 2001 Brompton which doesn’t have the fittings on the triangle for the later Zefal. I’m struggling to find out what was originally fitted.
Do you remember the standard pump we all used in the 1980s? The one with the flexible hose that screwed on to the valve? It was one of them, but tiny.

Gunk

Guru
Do you remember the standard pump we all used in the 1980s? The one with the flexible hose that screwed on to the valve? It was one of them, but tiny.

thanks I’ll measure it and try and get a black one to match

Fastpedaller

I got a 'Handife' one off Ebay (about £8) which has a flexi tube - a bit fiddly to fit onto the valve because of spokes, but it works well and fits into the seat post. I counted 100 pumps from fully flat to what I considered good pressure.:whistle:

Kell

Veteran
FWIW (I know this is an old thread) my original pump just bounced off the frame one day.

I hadn't realised what had happened - other than I heard a noise - and had thought that perhaps I'd lost a rear light. But as that was still attached, I assumed I'd run over something. It wasn't till a lot later that I even realised it was missing.

I didn't buy another as I had issues with it anyway. The way it fitted always seemed to be upside down to me. With the handle at the bottom, it just always seemed to be full of water and was really rusty - despite being only something like 6 months old when I lost it.

I had a couple of old ones lying around, so I just grabbed one and now keep it in my rucksack. No idea whether it's HV or HP, it's more a "get some air in the tyre to get me home" pump.

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

By way of an 'update' to my note above ....... I was in Lidl a few days ago and saw a 'crivit' mini pump which (I thought) was identical to the Handife one so being as it was only £4.99 I bought it. On examination it has a little larger diameter (27mm), but is still small enough to fit inside the seat pin of the Brompton. The flexi tube is removable, so easier to attach to the valve of a small wheel, but releases the air when it is screwed on (so ok if tube is deflated, but has to be removed complete with pump after inflation). Hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom