Recommend to me a...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It is dead simple. Flour (I use half and half strong white and wholemeal), pinch of salt, small amount of sugar. I use dried yeast for ease – add some warm water and a bit of flour and/or sugar and leave for a bit. Mix it all together, add water gradually until it's a stiff dough. Keep kneading until it comes cleanly from the bowl. cover and leave until it doubles in size. Knead lightly and put into tins or whatever. Let it rise again then shove in a hot oven for around 45 minutes.

You can add eggs, butter, oil, sesame seed, various other seeds, replace the sugar with molasses or honey, whatever.

I never measure anything so every loaf is different. The only vital things are to knead thoroughly and let it rise enough.

jhawk

Veteran
Thine bare hands! It tastes so much better, honestly. Been making my own for two years and never looked back. Strangely therapeutic too. HMU if you want the recipe I use.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
bread maker!

I don't know where to start looking, makes, sizes etc.
My mate Crofty, I shall ask his advice but he may scoff and say do it by hand.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Whenever this comes up there's a chorus of "Panasonic!" And I'm sure they're very good. They're also upwards of £100. I've been making bread for ten years now, using a couple of less exotic machines called Cookworks, always bought off ebay for a few quid. I think the first one lasted five or six years, the second is going strong. People buy them, try them, then give up and want rid. Or they get two as wedding presents. Either way, they end up on ebay, new or virtually unused, going for a song. This is the kind of thing. I'm sure you'd be very happy with a Panasonic, but if you'd like to give it a go without breaking the bank, check out Cookworks, and check out ebay. Just a thought...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I may just give that a go.....I'll have to google it as I've never made bread before! Seriously, I'm 51 and have never made my own bread.
My life is not complete!

Apart from making it a school once I had never made bread until I was 54, the first loaf was a cider loaf from Nigel Slaters kitchen diaries 2 . It's very simple, tasted FAB and you don't even need a tin. Like folks said its all in the kneading and the resting. If you want to buy fresh yeast you can get it from the bakery section in your local Sainburys

This is a version of Nigel Slaters recipe that we make nearly every week.

B250g spelt flour
250g white bread flour
25g of fresh yeast OR 7g dried yeast
Gently-heaped teaspoon salt
150ml whole milk
250ml cider/beer/stout
Teaspoon honey or treacle

Put the flours, yeast and salt in a warm bowl and mix well. Warm the milk and honey/treacle until it is all dissolved. Pour into the flours with the cider/beer/stout, mix, knead and prove, leave in a warm place for an hour covered up, knead and prove, then reast in a warm place for 30 mins, knead and prove. Roll the dough into a ball and place on to a oiled and lightly floured baking sheet, leave in a warm ace for another 15 minutes whilst the oven Hears ul to 225 place in the oven for 25 ish minutes.

There’s another bread which has 350ml warm water instead of the milk and cider. It’s crustier than the cider loaf.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I keep thinking of bare hands but I can't be a****d with the "Let it rest for two hours, knead it, rest it" malarkey. The bread maker handles all that for me. I am considering flat bread which should reduce it to "knead it" hopefully.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Here's a bread maker, @ScotiaLass.

article-2217320-157D456F000005DC-925_306x462.jpg

Apparently, he was a finalist in the Great British Bake-Off. Not sure what he costs, though.

Top Bottom