Recommend UK Cycling holiday destination?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya,

Me and a few friends are looking at doing a cycling holiday next Spring. Probably 3-4 days, somewhere in the UK. Hoping to keep costs to a minimum on the accommodation front. Planning on doing a 50-90 mile ride each day,on road bikes (possibly a bit of CX, but def mainly tarmac routes in mind) so suggestions of fantastic UK cycling routes would be very much appreciated.

The best idea might be, rather than for us to do a long linear route, staying in a different place each night, to base ourselves in one place and do different circular rides from our accommodation (or from a shortish car journey from our lodgings) each day. So recommendations a location for this kind of set-up would be especially welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

Norfolk
Lake district

U

User32269

Norfolk is great. We based ourselves in Wymondham a couple of years ago. Some lovely routes in the area.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hiya,

Me and a few friends are looking at doing a cycling holiday next Spring. Probably 3-4 days, somewhere in the UK. Hoping to keep costs to a minimum on the accommodation front. Planning on doing a 50-90 mile ride each day,on road bikes (possibly a bit of CX, but def mainly tarmac routes in mind) so suggestions of fantastic UK cycling routes would be very much appreciated.

The best idea might be, rather than for us to do a long linear route, staying in a different place each night, to base ourselves in one place and do different circular rides from our accommodation (or from a shortish car journey from our lodgings) each day. So recommendations a location for this kind of set-up would be especially welcome.

Thanks,

Andy
ferry at Gournock in Scotland across the locks to Inverarry for a stay. Next day onto Fort William, perhaps stay outside where its prettier. then last day around lock ness to Inverness and a train home.I rode this a couple of years ago and promised myself that I would go back.

Pictures and blog from day 8 of the below link onwards if you fancy a preview
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

zizou

Veteran
Somewhere on the west coast of Scotland and incorporate some ferry trips, makes it feel like a proper adventure.

Somewere on the Cowal penisula would be a good base - there is great cycling there itself but it also gives you options for visiting elsewhere - the ferry over to Bute (its about a 5 minute crossing from Colintraive) or head over to Kintyre to explore there via the Portavadie to Tarbet ferry, or take that and head to Claonig and take another ferry over the Arran and do a lap of the island. So many options of big rides to do without needing to repeat the same stretch of road much - plus great scenery and hills and mostly quiet roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
King's Lynn! Fast trains from London, easy ways to cycle out of town in each direction and 50-90 miles lets you do a flat route to two of Boston, Spalding and Wisbech (best to see which way the wind blows!), a moderate loop to Thetford forest, a loop up along the coast and back, a there-and-back to Norwich and many more.

spiderman2

Über Member
P7230020.JPG
Snowdonia !

For a spring tour, East Anglia is driest and Westcountry is warmest.
Also for a short tour factor in a 1/2 day drive verses a long day of driving from your home.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Bishops Castle (Shropshire) would make a nice fixed centre.
campsite about 1/4 mile north, with bunkhouse/cabins available if preferred
good pubs, lots of quiet lanes to explore (but you have to be able to use a map)

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Norfolk might be a winner - easy enough for me to access from East Yorks and the rest of the gang from Cambridge. King's Lynn in particular sounds worth further investigation, as does Bishop's Castle.
I had considered Scotland and the Lakes but I think travel time + chance of rain = not the best option, despite the fantastic scenery and routes.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom