Recommendation for tool bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longroad

Regular
I'm after any feedback / tips on the best type of toolkit / bag to purchase.

I'm after something that will fit to bike and carry needed tools and a couple of spare tubes. I have already bought a nice little pump although doesn't seem to fit valve on my bike!! :wacko: But I will be able to carry this in hydration pack. So wanted something separate for toolkit.

Any pointers appreciated :okay:

Tin Pot

Guru
Pocket 1
CO2 cartridge + adapter
2x Tyre lever
Alan key
Spanner

Pocket 2
Single spare inner tube

Pocket 3
Iphone + credit card + tenner

No pump
No hydration pack
No bag
No faff

:smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm after any feedback / tips on the best type of toolkit / bag to purchase.

I'm after something that will fit to bike and carry needed tools and a couple of spare tubes. I have already bought a nice little pump although doesn't seem to fit valve on my bike!! :wacko: But I will be able to carry this in hydration pack. So wanted something separate for toolkit.

Any pointers appreciated :okay:
The Topeak wedge series are as good as any. Come in at least 3 sizes depending on how much you carry and also either in a clip fitting or a strap fitting.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-medium-saddle-bag/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
+1 for twopeak wedge. room in the big one for my (more extensive than average) toolkit and a pork pie. In winter a btwin handlebar bag instead to accommodate an extra layer of clothing/extra pork pie.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You will get many suggestions of a frame bag, i actually use a £4 i got from sainsburys and mount the pump next to the bottle cage .With regards to your pump check the head that connects to the valve as many have bits inside to convert it to presta or schaeder.
generally.......
unscrew the head off
turn rubber bit around
turn plastic bit inside around
screw it back together

ScotiaLass

Guru
I have a Topeak too. It's the larger one and I can easily carry a spare tube, multi-tool, tyre levers and loads more!
As said, you can also get frame bags or even the 'bottle' ones that fit in your bottle holder.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have a few types, saddle wedge ones are fine but I've yet to fond one of the clip on/off type that works properly on Brooks rails, my rear light of choice at the mo is a cateye volt 50 which has mounts for saddle tail or seatpost and negated the opportunity for a wedge bag. I'm quite taken with a long one that fits along the underside of the top tube and anchors around the seatpost too, It has a couple of pockets & is wide enough for a spare tube and tools but without catching a thigh and long enough for a mini pump (topeak pocket rocket for me) to fit inside it too.

My best bag for a bit more crying capability is a dirt monkey bar bag, quite narrow and looks like a manage / handbag off the bike, it is very good and I like it a lot for carrying tools and daily paraphernalia plus a butty or items not big enough to faff with a backpack or panniers for.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm still trying to solve this one. At the moment, tools are in a musette in a drybag on top of the rear rack, but I've just ordered a "4 in 1" handlebar bag that drapes around the stem and just lifts off AFAICT. I'm hoping the tools except the pump will fit in the two small pockets. Locks will remain clippedto the rack.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I prefer this, although I have an older model. Very nice, durable and functional. I use it on my tourer, as it gets the best of everything I can provide.
http://lonepeakpacks.com/shop/index.php/packs/seatpacks/st205.html

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mountain bike tubes take up more space than roadie ones so you will need a biggish bag - particularly if you want to carry two.

A puncture is the overwhelmingly most likely source of a breakdown, so you need to prepare well for that.

Most other mechanical failures can be bodged at the roadside or ignored until you get home.

I carry one tube, a pack of self-stick patches, tyre levers, pump, a multi-tool and a pair of neoprene repair gloves.

On longer rides I add another tube, a chain breaker and a quick link.

OP
OP
L

Longroad

Regular
Cheers for all the feedback and options. Gave me some food for thought and to be fair it will probably be a while before I'm too far away from home to need to be carrying too many items. To be honest I'm really liking the bottle option. I have a water bottle mounted on my bottom bar at moment but my upright for seat has two screw holes which I assume will accommodate another holder and bottle.

I don't have enough room to mount the wedge type beneath seat due to light being fitted there.

As for the pump I will give that a try thanks cyber knight once I find where the missus has safely stored it.

A wedge bag for me too, but I don't put much in there: a 2nd spare tube, multi tool (topeak hexus II, it has tyre levers and chain tool, as well as the norm hex keys/screwdrivers), a small box of Park patches and a quick link. My keys sit in there too. I also look for one with a good loop to hold a rear light, that avoids your problem. My tiny pump is of the presta only type but most are convertible, like @cyberknight says. My pump a tiny Blackburn Airstick fits with another tube into one of the rear pockets on my cycling jerseys/jackets. If there isnt a zipped pocket my phone a tiny galaxy pocket neo fits in there too and perhaps emergency lights. Leaving my other two pockets for food and clothes (gilet/armwarmers/legwarmers/kneewarmers/jacket/cap depending on the season).

Top Bottom