Recommendations for a comfy ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am now in the 30 mile a day club which I do in a modest 2.5-3 hours whilst enjoying the scenery on my hybrid.

As this description suggests I am more of a leisure/general fitness rider rather than a competitive athlete, so any upgrades to my bike are always for comfort rather than performance. I was wondering if any members would be able to make suggestions for some grips, bar ends and a saddle.

Again I am after comfort more than anything else. I'm unconcerned by aesthetics and money isn't that much of a problem.

All recommendations/advice appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Cubist

Still wavin'
ergo style grips and bar end combos are a good upgrade. The flatter palm position is great. You could consider butterfly bars, MacB of this parish is a fan.

Saddles? Ooh, personal choice, but look into Brookes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
loads of choices on grips and its all down to personal choice , must admit i quite like riding untaped drops

saddles are a much harder choice , brooke's are nice but not to alls taste , but would try one as they last for years if looked after

rollinstok

The Ergon grips are superb, I used the GP2's for a while which have the stubby bar ends. I just fitted some GP5's which have a longer bar end with a decent curve at the top which offers 3 hand positions.. even better. They are on sale at Merlin Cycles for £40 and are well worth the money. Saddles are to everyones individual taste, FWIW the Charge spoon is the best I have ever used.
If you want to push the boat out a carbon seatpost and carbon forks take a lot of vibration away..they can really transform a hybrid into something that is still comfortable but quite fast and responsive.

OP
OP
D

Dan Cunningham

Regular
Thanks for the replies.

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me the benefits of a carbon seat post and maybe provide a link of the type of thing you mean.

Also, the Brook's seats? Is it simply a case of picking one you like the look of, or are there more things to consider?

Thanks again,

Dan

Std Brooks saddles can take a while to mold and break in. For instant comfort and for a touring style of riding try a Brooks aged flyer.

Carbon seat post will absorb more road buzz than an alloy example.

Cyclist33

Thanks for the replies.

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me the benefits of a carbon seat post and maybe provide a link of the type of thing you mean.

Also, the Brook's seats? Is it simply a case of picking one you like the look of, or are there more things to consider?

Thanks again,

Dan

Just type carbon seat post into google.

Tamarstone

I'm also looking into a new saddle. Can anyone advise me on Gel or Memory Foam saddles? Is one better than the other? or don't bother with them. What's your thoughts? Cheers

OP
OP
D

Dan Cunningham

Regular
Thanks for the recommendations. Incidentally I was perhaps a little rash in my selection of the B190 as I understand that it is for the larger gentleman, whereas I am 12 stone and I maybe wouldn't see the benefits.

RhythMick

Über Member
The Ergon grips are superb, I used the GP2's for a while which have the stubby bar ends. I just fitted some GP5's which have a longer bar end with a decent curve at the top which offers 3 hand positions.. even better. They are on sale at Merlin Cycles for £40 and are well worth the money. Saddles are to everyones individual taste, FWIW the Charge spoon is the best I have ever used.
If you want to push the boat out a carbon seatpost and carbon forks take a lot of vibration away..they can really transform a hybrid into something that is still comfortable but quite fast and responsive.

I bought a second hand Yeti Arc with the Ergon grips and they are superb

Top Bottom