Recommendations for touring pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Currently have Truvativ Hussefelt pedals used mainly for commuting but I've started to go on distance rides, nothing spectacular yet but upping the mileage each time I go out. The pins on the pedals have all but worn away on both sides so in need of some new ones especially with the wetter weather. What flat pedals does anybody recommended? Cheers

Mks Sylvian Touring work for me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I prefer Wellgo LU868 which seem discontinued but dutchbikebits.com claim to have stock still. Union SP-808 are similar but more plastic parts so not as good - there's also a Pilot pedal which was similar but I can't find its model number now.

<rant>I suspect the big brands are moving away from pedals which you can replace parts on almost forever, as it's less profitable than selling whole new pedals whenever the grips wear down. There are various unbranded or cheap-brand clones but they mostly share a fault from old Raleigh pedals in having a great big metal fin around the outboard cup which cuts shoes if your feet are as wide as mine, or some even have the end cap sealed on so you have to replace them instead of servicing the bearings.</rant>

Of more modern designs, the Vavert Commuter/Leisure (which might be Wellgo C097 or 8 or possibly 157) is good. In metal-topped ones, the MKS Lambdas look good but I've not used them.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I prefer Wellgo LU868 which seem discontinued but dutchbikebits.com claim to have stock still. Union SP-808 are similar but more plastic parts so not as good - there's also a Pilot pedal which was similar but I can't find its model number now.

<rant>I suspect the big brands are moving away from pedals which you can replace parts on almost forever, as it's less profitable than selling whole new pedals whenever the grips wear down. There are various unbranded or cheap-brand clones but they mostly share a fault from old Raleigh pedals in having a great big metal fin around the outboard cup which cuts shoes if your feet are as wide as mine, or some even have the end cap sealed on so you have to replace them instead of servicing the bearings.</rant>

Of more modern designs, the Vavert Commuter/Leisure (which might be Wellgo C097 or 8 or possibly 157) is good. In metal-topped ones, the MKS Lambdas look good but I've not used them.
Il have a look at the Wellgo had a few pairs of them on bikes over the years good for the money imo. Yes your more than likely right about a lot of big brands same as a lot of things nowadays they want more of your money!

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
My shins have many scars from pedals with good grip/shin destroying capabilities lol! I've never tried any of the V8 or 12's I know their tough though

Last edited:
Not seen these before, certainly look the business. Have you these pedals yourself and if so how long? Cheers

I sell them. They're expensive but they've got a new cheaper resin bodied model in the pipeline. They can be used with regular shoes - but their party trick is when you use an SPD compatible shoe and bolt the supplied 'cleats' (chunks of steel) into them. They give you up to (adjustable) 30lbs of attraction. instant engagement and plenty of float. They were designed for freeriders/downhillers who want the benefits of clip-in pedal engagement but cant afford to flap around getting their cleat back in once they've clipped out. But the benefits for other riders has made them much more popular than the manufacturer ever imagined. The reason we started importing them was through our work with soldiers who've lost bits of themselves. They wanted all the benefits of clip in shoes but struggled with engagement. This was another area that the manufacturer hadn't thought about until we fed it back to them.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I sell them. They're expensive but they've got a new cheaper resin bodied model in the pipeline. They can be used with regular shoes - but their party trick is when you use an SPD compatible shoe and bolt the supplied 'cleats' (chunks of steel) into them. They give you up to (adjustable) 30lbs of attraction. instant engagement and plenty of float. They were designed for freeriders/downhillers who want the benefits of clip-in pedal engagement but cant afford to flap around getting their cleat back in once they've clipped out. But the benefits for other riders has made them much more popular than the manufacturer ever imagined. The reason we started importing them was through our work with soldiers who've lost bits of themselves. They wanted all the benefits of clip in shoes but struggled with engagement. This was another area that the manufacturer hadn't thought about until we fed it back to them.
Awesome idea and good on you working with soldiers, the pedals look top notch you can tell their high quality

Top Bottom