Recommendations on a Cycling Computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F
Can I upload data to Strava ? And do you get the same information as you would if you use Garmin Express ?

Can I upload data to Strava?
Yup, as Mike says above it's no problem :thumbsup:

Strava.png

PS: CycleChat even has it's own Strava group HERE :thumbsup:

FYI - this is how you'll see your ride data. It shows your top 3 achievements but if you click on the show more button it lists them all for you as well. This is an old ride of mine which is why it shows my device as an iPhone. A current ride would show the device as my Garmin.

Strava 2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
I signed up for Strava. Nice website!!! And I've created two rides (even though I'm waiting for my bike to be serviced. Should be with me in the next few working days.

It even has rides what people have done around my house AND where I stay in Scotland!!!!

My next question.

If I ride somewhere in Scotland, and have no access to upload data, can I create new rides, will it save the rides to the device? If so, how many?

MikeW-71

Veteran
It'll save them and you can upload later. They can hold a lot of rides, I had over 20 stored on mine once before clearing it out.

If you want to navigate with it (it'll do that by a breadcrumb trail) you will need a computer available to upload the routes onto the device, but you could also do this well in advance if needed. It will hold a lot of routes too.

OP
OP
F
It'll save them and you can upload later. They can hold a lot of rides, I had over 20 stored on mine once before clearing it out.

If you want to navigate with it (it'll do that by a breadcrumb trail) you will need a computer available to upload the routes onto the device, but you could also do this well in advance if needed. It will hold a lot of routes too.

A lot of rides? That's what I want to hear!
Thank you!

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you've downloaded it as a TCX or GPX file, connect the Garmin and open it on the computer. Copy the downloaded file into the "Newfiles" folder on the Garmin, it will then be available to select as a route.

Routing works pretty well, just follow the line.

OP
OP
F
This might be a stupid question, but what happens if you cycle where there's no road on the map on a website such as Garmin or Strava? Does it mark the way you cycle?

Waste of time me buying a garmin 200, when I have an ipad and no laptop isn't it .....?
Modern technology for you ;),
I have never tried this as I haven't had a Garmin or a tablet ( the O.H. has one, I dont have the need) at the same time, if you can plug a device into i.e. the garmin into the tablet/computer and it sees it as an external device (much the same as a card reader) you should be able to transfer files, with Edge X00 series these are either fit/tcx files, these can be transferred to the tablet/computer (which is no bad thing as they can then be backed up) or uploaded direct from the unit, use the file upload option instead of connecting to the unit to strava/rwgps/endomondo ect..
Not sure but as anyone tried connecting a Garmin to a iPod to see if it is seen as an external device.
Garmin connect sees my camera memory card as a device.

Top Bottom