Recommended cycle security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Screw in ground spike and a U-Lock if there are no suitable cycle stands or such like.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Either with a cable around a tree, or a cable around the front wheel and frame, then thread it around a tent pole with the bike lying on the ground. You'll hear any attempts to interfere with it either way.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
How is a spoon going to help you lock your shovel?;)

Seriously, cable lock to a tree / fence or something, or D-lock it and tie a guy rope to the bike.

dragon72

Guru
There'll always be something to lock it to.

Has anyone ever heard of a bike being stolen at a campsite?
I'm asking semi-rhetorically, as I'm of the opinion that a bike left unlocked overnight in a campsite will be there in the morning, whereas a bike D-locked to a Sheff-stand in overnight in a large city centre might not. Maybe I'm being naive.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've never had a bike nicked at a campsite. Mind you, I've only done cycle-camping in France, and I've never had a bike nicked anywhere else in France either.

Danny

Legendary Member
I think the risk of a bike being stolen from a rural campsite is very low. If there is more than one of you and you lock your bikes together that will deter most thieves from trying to make off with them.

jags

Guru
julk had his top of the range thorn stolen at a campsite only a couple weeks ago ,he had it locked but didn't lock it to something solid like a tree /post or whatever luckily he was insured .but what a bummer to have your pride and joy stolen by some lowlife.
so take a couple of good cable locks ask people to keep an eye on then if possible.

Alan Whicker

Two friends of mine had their high-end Marin MTBs nicked from a camp site near Calais. The bikes were locked to a rack on the back of their camper van while my chums were asleep inside. As always, luck is a major factor. I must admit I'm never unduly worried out in the sticks - anything suspicious sticks out a mile in a camp site, and there's always something to lock your bike to. I've read on motorbike touring sites that some riders tie a length of fishing line to their bike, and the other to their toe overnight :tongue:.

Ste T.

Guru
A friend of mine bought an alarmed padlock from QVC last week. About eighteen quid , it has a motion sensor built in and emits an ear piercing wail if set off. Could be worth a punt.

jags

Guru
Ste T. said:
A friend of mine bought an alarmed padlock from QVC last week. About eighteen quid , it has a motion sensor built in and emits an ear piercing wail if set off. Could be worth a punt.

yes but how would that work if it was attached to a cable lock. if the thief just cut the cable the alarm lock would still be intact so it wouldn't go off or am i missing something here;)

Top Bottom