Recommended frame repairers in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter_streetmachineGT

Über Member
Hi all,

I've got an old 531 competition frame that needs repairing after a frontal impact bent the forks and down tube. Can anyone recommend a frame repairer in London? I know of Roberts Cycles (who I've emailed), but none else - very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of others worth considering.

Thanks,

Peter

andym

Über Member
I think it's Roberts Cycles or Roberts Cycles. There used to be a framemaker in Deptford but they've moved to South Wales. Happy to be proved wrong though.

There's a list here from Ceeway who should have a fair idea. There are framemakers listed outside London (eg Crayford and Romford).

PS it's better to ring Roberts - they are quite helpful. Their email system gives you an automated message that says 'Thank you for your enquiry.
Due to the nature of our business, most of our time is spent in the workshop and with customers. We are really grateful for your enquiry but we are often unable to respond quickly. For a quicker response, please telephone 020 8684 3370, Tuesday to Saturday between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
Otherwise we will respond to your email enquiry as soon as we are able to.'

You can get a frame posted anywhere in the UK for £6.99 with Parcels2go.com.
TBH, I think you pay a premium for frames built in London.
Eddison's in Clowne, Derbyshire is really good value and the equal of anyone else.

Crankarm

Guru
Was the place in Deptford Whitcombe Cycles? If so I went there in 1995ish and it was a real old bike workshop. No shop to speak of just a counter and lots of frames in various states of completion or undergoing surgery. A few bikes as well. Some of the lugs were fit to exhibit in an art exhibition.

The only other place I know in London is Condor but they might be expensive and might not take you frame on if it is an old 531. If there is any corrosion you should first have it blasted to see if it is worth repairing as blasting will show up any holes in the tubes or around the lugs caused by corrosion. Maybe your frame is not corroded just trying to cover all bases.

andym

Über Member
Crankarm said:
Was the place in Deptford Whitcombe Cycles? If so I went there in 1995ish and it was a real old bike workshop. No shop to speak of just a counter and lots of frames in various states of completion or undergoing surgery. A few bikes as well. Some of the lugs were fit to exhibit in an art exhibition.

Indeed it was. Unfortunately I never actually visited them. At least they are still in business even if in S Wales.

Crankarm

Guru
Is Whitcombe senior still going or is it now his son(s) or only some one using the name?

andym

Über Member
Crankarm said:
Is Whitcombe senior still going or is it now his son(s) or only some one using the name?

It depends on whether you mean Barry Witcomb or Ernie Witcomb. Barry Witcombe is Director of Framebuilding but at 65 he's a bit old to be Mr Witcombe junior. More info on their website their website.

Warning - they are now on Twitter, have a blog and producing carbon-fibre bikes. So not for the nostalgic.

Top Bottom