2024 Big Cycling trip Ideas - London 2 Paris - Battlefields Tour etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been thinking about doing such a trip for a while - but I m not getting any younger - so its crunch time (But lets wait until 2024!!!)

2 of the obvious ones that appeal are london to Paris and the Tour of the battlefields.

I want to be a supported as possible - the less organising and scope for things to go wrong the better - obviously if there are hills so be it - but Im not seeking them out - if you get what I mean ! - I will probably be self funded I can't be bothered with fund raising - Ive done it to death....

Most likely I will be on my own.

So any suggestions \ Pitfalls etc.....

dimrub

I'm not sure what your background/experience level are, so maybe my suggestions will seem trivial to you, but:
1. Start with low mileage. Whatever is your goal daily distance, get to it gradually, over the course of a few days. Of course, if you only want to ride 30 km per day then go for it from day 1.
2. To me, tour of the battlefields sounds much more exciting. Just google "cycling routes battlefields" - there seems to be plenty of suggested routes, as well as companies providing group/self-guided supported tours over the battlefields of WW1 and WW2.
3. There is really a continuum across the cost vs comfort spectrum. For great cyclist-ready accommodations in France I recommend using this site.
4. If you decide to go electrical - don't be shy about it. It's about your experience, not about what people on the Internet consider "cheating" (sorry, just had to vent).

Emanresu

Have done Calais to Battlefields and it's not difficult. Most of that part is relatively flat (and boring) but the battlefields, the sheer number of them and the sizes will leave you with a better understanding of what was lost during that period.

The town of Albert is the centre of the battlefields and has direct links to Paris if you need to come back that way.

Attachments

• IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
But lets wait until 2024!!!)
Why? ^_^
If the last few years have taught us anything it's to seize the moment.
You're talking France/Belgium here. These aren't exactly the backend of nowhere! ^_^ Entirely possible to put together and complete a tour before winter sets in.

2 of the obvious ones that appeal are london to Paris and the Tour of the battlefields.
To my mind, London - Paris suggests a straight line and long days in the saddle. On the other hand, a tour of battlefields should be slower, more meandering. I've done a lot of cemetery visiting and wandered around Ypres/Ieper and northern France. Low cycling days, high experience days.

I want to be a supported as possible - the less organising and scope for things to go wrong the better -
It's not clear exactly what you're looking for. Your own bike? A sag wagon? Food along the way?

The only "complication" that I'm aware of is the possibility of complications if leaving and returning on your own "new looking" bike.

At the bottom of the page are various threads with different links for tour companies. Depending on the services provided, expect to pay a suppleyfor being single.

I have to (again) give a mention to Cycle Travel for planning multi-day routes. It really is very good for choosing excellent routes and the overnight feature is very useful.

As always, CGOAB should have some journals for info and inspiration.

Just to add, there are a host of "easy" bike tours with baggage transport etc. that probably don't appeal to "serious" cyclists but can be fun for non-cycling partners. No reason why the more serious cyclist can't do some more serious cycling as their partner takes it easier.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Im just looking for something a bit different - I am crap at navigating and my anxiety soar if I get lost - Do a few sportives 50 or 60 miles without a problem.

One thing that concerns me is the medical sign off - I have a heart murmur and recently started meds for high blood pressure - the provider that I am interested in going with doesn't start medical screening until you have paid a deposit - anyone experienced anything like this ?

dimrub

As far as navigation is concerned, there are simple technical solutions to this problem. Either invest in a dedicated computer, or in a waterproof case and holder for your phone, and set it up with one of many cycling navigation apps. My favorite is Komoot, but you have to be careful with it (in fact, with any such app) during the planning step. As far as the balance goes between getting you to your destination at all cost, and providing a pleasant and safe riding experience, it sometimes err towards the former. This concern can be avoided altogether by using one of the precooked routes, such as those available here. Just download the GPX files, feed them to your favorite app, and off you go, as easy as driving your car with Waze/Google Maps.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Im just looking for something a bit different - I am crap at navigating and my anxiety soar if I get lost - Do a few sportives 50 or 60 miles without a problem.

One thing that concerns me is the medical sign off - I have a heart murmur and recently started meds for high blood pressure - the provider that I am interested in going with doesn't start medical screening until you have paid a deposit - anyone experienced anything like this ?

I've do an organised holiday or two before (as well as organising our own on behalf of others). Not sure what you mean by "medical screening". All we've ever had "imposed" is a requirement to ensure we had adequate travel insurance in case of medical (and other) issues. You need to ensure you have that and you have disclosed correctly to the insurer so as not to invalidate your cover.

Does the provided itself insist on a medical questionnaire or check up etc?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I've do an organised holiday or two before (as well as organising our own on behalf of others). Not sure what you mean by "medical screening". All we've ever had "imposed" is a requirement to ensure we had adequate travel insurance in case of medical (and other) issues. You need to ensure you have that and you have disclosed correctly to the insurer so as not to invalidate your cover.

Does the provided itself insist on a medical questionnaire or check up etc?

I'm trying to get more info. But it seems once you have paid your deposit you do a medical questionnaire - which them determines if you need clearance from you GP.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I seen different friends do both a battlefield tour and London to Paris this summer. The battlefield tour for me is a lot more interesting. If you can overcome your fear of navigation they are pretty simple to organise. In France all but the very smallest of roads have their number on the sign posts, such as D1 etc. Navigating by road number, with a list of places you pass through, works really well in France

Book your ferries, book B&B or hotels via an app that offers free refunds up to day before etc and get going.

For the battlefield tour my friends went out on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry and returned via Calais - Dover ferry. Thus it’ll still feel like you’ve toured from one place to another, but at a slow pace, via some interesting and sober sights.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm trying to get more info. But it seems once you have paid your deposit you do a medical questionnaire - which them determines if you need clearance from you GP.

Ok so as long as your GP, who will be aware of your heart issues having prescribed you the meds, hasn't also advised not to cycle (which would be a bit odd anyway as moderate exercise is good for the heart) the you will be fine.

Your going on a cycling holiday, not attempting to cross the Pyrenees in record time after all/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I seen different friends do both a battlefield tour and London to Paris this summer. The battlefield tour for me is a lot more interesting. If you can overcome your fear of navigation they are pretty simple to organise. In France all but the very smallest of roads have their number on the sign posts, such as D1 etc. Navigating by road number, with a list of places you pass through, works really well in France

Book your ferries, book B&B or hotels via an app that offers free refunds up to date before etc and get going.

For the battlefield tour my friends went out on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry and returned via Calais - Dover ferry. This it’ll still feel like you’ve toured from one place to another, but at a slow pace, via some interesting and sober sights.

I get that, but the OP want the least hassle, and besides having your gear transported from place to place makes for a much more enjoyable time. Indeed as does not needing to worry about navigation, where to stay & eat etc if these things worry you. Also OP has said going alone, therefore going with a group adds a more sociable element to it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I get that, but the OP want the least hassle, and besides having your gear transported from place to place makes for a much more enjoyable time. Indeed as does not needing to worry about navigation, where to stay & eat etc if these things worry you. Also OP has said going alone, therefore going with a group adds a more sociable element to it.

In which case there are no tips to give. Book with a company that fits the dates and length of time you can do, then leave it to them.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Has anbody actually cycled in paris ? - Ive heard the drivers can be a bit barmy (Although I live in West Midlands) - some of the tours include cycling around the arc de triomphe - which seems a bit unnerving to me !

Top Bottom