Recommended parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
I do a few miles in all weathers so I thought I'd share a few things I have purchased that I think are well worth the money. It might save someone new to cycling the hassle of trial and error which can be quite expensive, as I have found!

Please feel free to add to the list!!

Swisstop Green brake pads
These are a massive upgrade to the black pads supplied with most bikes, they leave the rim clean and free of that black sludge that accumulates after a few good wet weather rides, and hopefully a little less aggressive on the rims, they also have much better stopping power than the pads I got with my 105 callipers, and don't seem to be wearing out as fast either!

Gatorskins
Although a little heavy they seem to roll well enough, I use them all year round and have a one puncture in about 4000miles, great value for money imo

Lifeline Inner tubes (From Wiggle)
Cheap and last a good while

Velo Rim tape
This stuff is cheap as chips and is much better than the blue plastic stuff you usually get with your wheels, easy to change and will eliminate the dreaded pinch puncture!

Moon Shield Rear light

Worth every penny, its USB chargeable and will last a good few days in-between charges, its super bright and well built, it looks good too.

DHB R1.0 road cycling shoes
For £30 they simply cannot be beaten , I'm on my second set, they fit well (for me anyway) they hold up when pushing hard on hills and are perfect for a commuter/sportive rider.

Shimano R501 Wheels
I'm on my second set of these so far and the jury is still out on them as the rims seem to wear out a bit fast imo, they roll well but are a bit heavy, ideal for commuting though. And for £70 for the pair they are a bargain.

Buff
I don't leave home without mine, keeps your face warm while you warm up then just pull it down when things warm up.

CO2 canisters and pump
These little fella's will inflate your tyres to around 100psi in around second, no more pumping away, I keep a couple of canisters in my backpack with a inflater head that cost about £5 (can remember where from)
I get my canisters from co2cartridges.co.uk (16grams threaded) £12 for 10
This will save you so much time and effort, essential imo

Globalti

Legendary Member
Those CO2 canisters usually have a bit of pressure left in them after pumping a tyre so why not blast the gas into your coffee at the cafe and enjoy a nice foamy cappucino?

Why are you on your second set of dhb shoes? My £80 Shimano shoes are still looking like new after five years and thousands of miles.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
After two year they were looking very tired, might take a look at the Shimano's, what ones are they?

Tim Hall

Whilst I agree that Velo(x) is the one true rim tape, I can't see how it prevents pinch punctures. If your tyre is under inflated and you hit a hole, the tube pinches between the road and the edge of the rim. The tape plays no part IMO.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Shimano SH-R106L with medium Spesh BG insoles:

31ZQiExhPqL.jpg

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Whilst I agree that Velo(x) is the one true rim tape, I can't see how it prevents pinch punctures. If your tyre is under inflated and you hit a hole, the tube pinches between the road and the edge of the rim. The tape plays no part IMO.
I Stand corrected but It definitely will/should eliminate the inner tube getting trapped between the spoke hole and the rim tape (Band), I have had many of these in the past.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Tried the swisstop green pads, scared the dodo's out of me, did'nt stop me,wet or dry, kept them in for a couple of hundred miles and then gave up on them and went back to my old fibrax pads, not as cool looking but really do stop. Its pretty lumpy round here in N.Wales so good stoppers are for me a must.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Tried the swisstop green pads, scared the dodo's out of me, did'nt stop me,wet or dry, kept them in for a couple of hundred miles and then gave up on them and went back to my old fibrax pads, not as cool looking but really do stop. Its pretty lumpy round here in N.Wales so good stoppers are for me a must.
Ahh that's a shame, I definitely think they have more breaking power than the std black you get with the 105 callipers, its quite rolling down in Kent, I'm guessing nothing like the descents you have in Wales tho!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Track pump - easiest way to keep tyres correctly inflated

Baby wipes - great for quickly wiping the crud off the bike and cleaning the chain.

Skull cap - best way to keep head warm in winter with or without a helmet.

Marathon Plus tyres - last forever and correctly inflated are virtually bombproof.

Top Bottom