Recommended pedals for cyclocross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abchandler

I'm in the market for a cyclocross bike, mainly for commuting/leisure rides on local canal towpaths.

I've half a mind to try out the odd cyclocross race in the autumn, so was wondering - what are the recommendations for pedals?

Is it SPDs?

Presumably not Look Keo style pedals?

Will be seeking advice from LBS too, but wondered what your thoughts were.

screenman

Legendary Member
Most of the people I know use SPD for cross. Or of course Crank Brothers Egg Beater

david1701

as an aside, what shoes are you guys wearing. My spd shoes have walking about on roads type grip and are useless off it so I need some new ones methinks

deaksie

as an aside, what shoes are you guys wearing. My spd shoes have walking about on roads type grip and are useless off it so I need some new ones methinks

Lake and Northwave both do "bikenwalk"/ "bikenhike" shoes which have a walking boot style grip and the ability to take cleats - great when you have to get off in a muddy field to open a gate or something. Normal SPD shoes have no grip so you end up sliding around like bambi on ice - these get rid of that problem

I've been looking at these ones (not that I really need new shoes but you know how us girls are......)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAKE-MX10...s=63&clkid=2144238782582360650#ht_2630wt_1195

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Lake and Northwave both do "bikenwalk"/ "bikenhike" shoes which have a walking boot style grip and the ability to take cleats - great when you have to get off in a muddy field to open a gate or something. Normal SPD shoes have no grip so you end up sliding around like bambi on ice - these get rid of that problem

I've been looking at these ones (not that I really need new shoes but you know how us girls are......)
http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2630wt_1195

Normal SPD shoes, designed for mtb use as originally intended and using normal SPD cleats should have tons of grip even without studs. Only road shoes and those using SPD-SL cleats are bambi on ice jobs.

deaksie

Normal SPD shoes, designed for mtb use as originally intended and using normal SPD cleats should have tons of grip even without studs. Only road shoes and those using SPD-SL cleats are bambi on ice jobs.

hmm. not been playing in bottomless cotswold mud then? I have shimano shoes for summer but they would be useless in the winter around here.

Zoiders

SPD MTB shoes with studs are great for one thing, climbing short steep inclines as the studs act like crampons into the earth, it's a specific action related to some XC courses and cross races.

As an actual multi purpose shoe for other bit's of terrain they are not so hot, the stack height on the tread can be a bit high and the footprint narrow so you run the risk of going over on an ankle on firmer ground.

deaksie

SPD MTB shoes with studs are great for one thing, climbing short steep inclines as the studs act like crampons into the earth, it's a specific action related to some XC courses and cross races.

As an actual multi purpose shoe for other bit's of terrain they are not so hot, the stack height on the tread can be a bit high and the footprint narrow so you run the risk of going over on an ankle on firmer ground.

better than stillettos though egh?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
hmm. not been playing in bottomless cotswold mud then? I have shimano shoes for summer but they would be useless in the winter around here.

on occassion yes, but only when I can dig myself out of the sussex clay. I can't speak for Shimano shoes, far too narrow for me, but I've never had a problem with the various Spesh shoes/boots over the years. Only ever used screw in studs when actually racing though.

Never turned an ankle in them either.

Top Bottom