Recommended reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening chaps.
As a relative latecomer to the Grand Tour party I've been reading a lot to try and catch up. I've been reading books by Graham Fife, Geoffrey Wheatcroft (both of them badly written, pompous, middle aged w*nk, but there you go...) Matt Rendell, Paul Kimmage, William Fotheringham and Willy Voet. Now I'd like to delve a little deeper. In particular I'd like to know more about Mssrs Hinault and Indurain. These two intrigue me. I like the cut of Mr Hinault's jib and Mr Indurain seems like a bit of an enigma, a gentle giant, a lovely chap but I've come across hints that he might have been relying on more than his huge lungs and soporific heart-rate...

Any suggestions? And no, I don't read French.

Noodley

I have Big Mig's biography if you want it.

It's first class pomposity and w*ank in the extreme - the 2nd worst cycling book ever IMO.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Noodley said:
I have Big Mig's biography if you want it.

It's first class pomposity and w*ank in the extreme - the 2nd worst cycling book ever IMO.
Oh get on then. Is it 'A Tempered Passion' by any chance? Just that I've seen in referenced.

What was the worst then?

Noodley

Chuffy said:
Oh get on then. Is it 'A Tempered Passion' by any chance? Just that I've seen in referenced.

What was the worst then?

Tempered Passion it is.

Worst cycling book is the Pantani book my his ex-manager.

Noodley

marinyork said:
Any good historical ones on the giro?

Not that I am aware of.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Just ordered this lot...

"Bad Blood: The Secret Life of the Tour De France"
Jeremy Whittle; Paperback;

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
1 "From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France"
David Walsh; Hardcover;

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
1 "The Crooked Path to Victory: Cheating in Professional Bicycle Racing (Cycling Resources)"
Les Woodland; Paperback;

rustychisel

Doesn't help, Sir Chuff, but when I was in France in 2005 Bernard Hinault's autobiography had just been published. He's my pinup guy from yesteryear, and I really should have bought the book, but reckoned an English translation would be available. No sign yet, I don't think, sadly. Might be worth some research.

Les Woodland's book about the history of the Tour de France is a pretty good collection of anecdotes and facts.

A great read is Ralph Hurne's fictional 'The Yellow Jersey', a novel of the Tour de France in the late 60s.

I'll tell you in a week or two whether Deere's history of Team Linda McCartney is worth looking out for. And when my mate TopBhoy finds the bleedin' Allen Peiper biog he brought back from Glasgow last year I'll flippin' well read that, as well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy, do you ever get over to Teignmouth?

Teignmouth books (station road) has a fantastic cycling section, and the chap who runs it is a keen cyclist himself, and very friendly[1] - I'm sure his shop would be worth a visit, and that he might be able to look out for some stuff for you.

BTW, I'd be interested in what you think of your purchases, once you've had chance to read them.

[1] I tend to spend half an hour browsing the books, and then an hour chatting on my visits :wacko:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Incidentally, does anyone know of any biographies of Gino Bartali? He sounds like a fascinating character.

My cycling bookshelf currently consists of;

It's Not About the Bike (Lance Armstrong)
Every Second Counts (Lance Armstonrg)
A Significant Other (Matt Rendell)
Rough Ride (Paul Kimmage)
Le Tour (Geoffrey Wheatcroft)
The Unknown Tour De France: The Curious Story of the World's Biggest Bicycle Race (Les Woodland)
Fall From Grace (Freddy Maertens)
Tour de France: The History, The Legend, The Riders (Graeme Fife)
Roule Britannia: The History of Britons in the Tour De France (William Fotheringham)
Inside the Peloton: Riding, Winning and Losing the Tour De France (Graeme Fife)
The Sweat of the Gods: Myths and Legends of Bike Racing (Benjo Maso and Michiel Horn)
Put Me Back on my Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson (William Fotheringham)
French Revolutions (Tim Moore)
In Search of Robert Millar (Richard Moore)

Tetedelacourse

I sent most of mine off to ChrisKH a few months back. There were two good ones on Roche. But most of the others are covered in John's list above.

I got A Tempered Passion off Cisamcgu, read it (over the space of about 32 years - well, seemed like it anyway) and passed on to Alecstilleyedye. Don't read it Chuffy, unless you like your cycling narrative embellished with abstract metaphors about foliage and such.

John, any chance I could borrow the Robert Millar book?

Top Bottom