Recommended reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tetedelacourse said:
John, any chance I could borrow the Robert Millar book?

Sure - a bit selfish of me, but I don't really want it going into the general forum book exchange after you've finished though, as I've not read it yet myself (I wasn't expecting to get to it for a bit though, as I want to read the last Gormenghast book first).

PM me your details and we'll sort it out.

Tetedelacourse

YHPM

Who does Gormenghast ride for?

Noodley

Dayvo said:
Bloody 'ell! Must be bad!

I thought Paul Kimmage's 'Rough Ride' was the worst one (that I've read)! :biggrin:

I thought Kimmage's book was good. Oh well. He's one bitter bugger, but I reckon with some justification...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hinault's book about Riding and Technique was how I set my bikes up with....

Cracking book, technical, but I've lost it......FFS...... and it even covered Look pedals...as they'd just been introduced.....

The set up is excellent, offers great advice !

Hence I'm still on my old bikes !!!!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
John the Monkey said:
Chuffy, do you ever get over to Teignmouth?

Teignmouth books (station road) has a fantastic cycling section, and the chap who runs it is a keen cyclist himself, and very friendly[1] - I'm sure his shop would be worth a visit, and that he might be able to look out for some stuff for you.

BTW, I'd be interested in what you think of your purchases, once you've had chance to read them.

[1] I tend to spend half an hour browsing the books, and then an hour chatting on my visits :sad:
Made it over there this afternoon but, in our usual fashion, with too little time to look around properly. We were greeted with the words 'I'm just closing'...:biggrin:
Having said that we did have a quick look. Mostly various books on Lance but a few others which looked like they might be worth further investigation. Top tip, cheers. :biggrin:

Noodley - Kimmage gets a real pasting from some people but I reckon his book is probably the most honest I've read, as well as being a real eye opener. He certainly doesn't flatter himself at all.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
In addition the the excellent responses, you might want to check Pedro Delgados excellent website and their is also a fascinating fansite of the Dutch King of the Mountains Gert Jan Theunisse.
I bought Steven Roches biog and found it very difficult to read. Regarding Hinault did you hear Sean Kelly's recollections of him boxing his way through a group of striking protesters blocking the road and being a very difficult and awkward person to deal with.

Noodley

Ludwig said:
In addition the the excellent responses, you might want to check Pedro Delgados excellent website and their is also a fascinating fansite of the Dutch King of the Mountains Gert Jan Theunisse.
I bought Steven Roches biog and found it very difficult to read. Regarding Hinault did you hear Sean Kelly's recollections of him boxing his way through a group of striking protesters blocking the road and being a very difficult and awkward person to deal with.

IIRC the story re the strikers was that they were blocking the road and rather than slowing down Hinault decided to sprint at them at full pelt and hit them at over 40mph, then despite being injured he picked himself up and laid in about a few of them. He ain't called the Badger for nothing! I never really liked him much TBH...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy said:
Having said that we did have a quick look. Mostly various books on Lance but a few others which looked like they might be worth further investigation. Top tip, cheers. :biggrin:
I have to admit, I bought a bunch of things last tiime I was in, he might not have got stock levels back up yet (if the missus ever finds out how much that Freddy Maertens book cost, I'll be moving out). If you do go over again, remember that he's closed on Mondays.
Noodley - Kimmage gets a real pasting from some people but I reckon his book is probably the most honest I've read, as well as being a real eye opener. He certainly doesn't flatter himself at all.
I read it recently - I thought it read ok, his tour diaries are a bit terse and hardly the best prose, but that's understandable, I think.

mondobongo

Über Member
I thought Kimmage came across as honest but also unhappy, to put all that work in to become a Pro only to find that its not what you thought has to be soul destroying.

Currently reading Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet. Finding it totally unbelievable as well as very sad and find myself hoping that he has sensationalised a lot of what went on.

Top Bottom