Record (vinyl) turntable. I'm needing your advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I have a PL-12D somewhere up in the loft, but I'm currently using a cheapie Ion USB turntable which works fine with my elderly Cambridge Audio AV receiver using the same line-level inputs that my CD deck and tuner are connected to.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Around here, we have shops called 'trocs'. They're basically outlets for 2nd hand stuff, often house clearance. They usually have HiFi seperates, some of it very affordable, of all makes. Mostly amps, tuners, tape and cd players. Not often turntables though, dunno why but I could hazard a guess. If you know your stuff, you can kit yourself out with a decent system for sod all.

Anything like that in the UK?
Ebay is an excellent source of used hi-fi in the UK if you steer clear of cult items.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
If you don't want to spend too much you could buy a Denon mini system (well reviewed) which comes with speakers for around £400. Plug in a turntable, rega, whatever, for £300. Away you go.
An excellent idea - that way you get a good CD and tuner into the bargain

Denon DT1 - about £250 inc. speakers. Depending on the TT you might need a phono pre-amp between about £20 and £15,000 (This one !!!!)

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
This is all good info chaps but still confusion reigns! Keep them coming though because I'm getting an education here.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
yeah but... who wants to spend a grand on a turntable?

Seriously!

Mmm, I spent over £500 on my Linn in 1983 or whatever it was. That's probably a lot more in real terms than a grand is today

Not saying it was a wise purchase, but it was vastly superior to anything else I'd heard. Don't think I'd do so today as CDs are now ubiquitous, but back then it knocked spots off the CD players then available and records were much cheaper to an CDs.

I should probably fettle it and flog it

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A mate of mine spent £500 on his pair of loudspeaker cables...

Seriously! :eek:

Now that really is nonsense

Drago

Legendary Member
Theres more guff spoken by the high priests of hifi about speaker cables, than just about every other piece of bullsheet in the world added together. They make politicians sound credible.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you don't want to spend too much you could buy a Denon mini system (well reviewed) which comes with speakers for around £400. Plug in a turntable, rega, whatever, for £300. Away you go.

^^^This is what I did.

Denon RCDM41DAB receiver, Wharfedale Diamond speakers and and Audio-Technia deck (part of Panasonic). All in, about £500 new.

While I'm under no impression that this is decent but hardly high end kit, the difference in sound quality over the Sony CD system it replaced is massive.

Or eBay / Facebook marketplace for some potential bargains.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A friend recently bought a Planar 2, sounds good but not as good as my old Thorens with coincidentally the same Arm fitted,(RB250) but the Thorens and the Linn LP12 are both based on the Acoustic Research design

Top Bottom