Record (vinyl) turntable. I'm needing your advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

We have cash converters. Mostly it sells stolen goods.
Yes, we have 'cash converters' too. They do have HiFi gear but it tends to be pricier than the trocs I mentioned. I couldn't comment on the provenance of their stock though!

Other subject; I've a brother that's a HiFi geek (so I know some of the names mentioned above!) and he talked me into changing the speaker cable on my then system. Not £500's worth but none-the-less more than I would naturally have spent. In fairness, it did make a difference even I could hear. And, yes, he would spend that kind of money on speaker cable!

I've always said I'd listen to music on pretty much anything, as it's the music that interests me, not the gear it's played on BUT it is undeniable that more expensive gear improves the experience. At the higher end (where I would not go) you're paying more and more for less and less difference (incremental?) Tbh, I'm not sure I can hear it (just as I have no appreciation for 'fine wines') but if that's your thing then cool, go for it. I'm sure the palate refines and you are rewarded for it.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
With hearing loss, is it really worth buying any expensive HiFi gear as you get older?
the-International-Organization-for-Standardization.png

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Yes, we have 'cash converters' too. They do have HiFi gear but it tends to be pricier than the trocs I mentioned. I couldn't comment on the provenance of their stock though!

Other subject; I've a brother that's a HiFi geek (so I know some of the names mentioned above!) and he talked me into changing the speaker cable on my then system. Not £500's worth but none-the-less more than I would naturally have spent. In fairness, it did make a difference even I could hear. And, yes, he would spend that kind of money on speaker cable!

I've always said I'd listen to music on pretty much anything, as it's the music that interests me, not the gear it's played on BUT it is undeniable that more expensive gear improves the experience. At the higher end (where I would not go) you're paying more and more for less and less difference (incremental?) Tbh, I'm not sure I can hear it (just as I have no appreciation for 'fine wines') but if that's your thing then cool, go for it. I'm sure the palate refines and you are rewarded for it.
Yes, the Law of Diminishing Returns applies to hi-fi, as it does to pretty well everything else.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think the best experience you can have listening to music is with a pair of good quality headphones. No need to worry about upsetting the neighbours too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Im still listening to the system I assembled over time in the mid to late 80's. Hit ebay and sort yourself something similar for a few hundred sheets.

Same here - JVC separates system, cost me over £500 in 1986. Still going strong, and have popped a tiny bluetooth receiver on the 'tape2' input so can stream from our phones too

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yep those graphs demonstrate why it is better to have quality equipment as you age, you can turn it up louder before it distorts.
What’s that?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When you get into ‘separates’ you need to consider compatibility. Some speakers need a lot of driving. Perhaps best to buy a system that comes with.
As previously stated the laws of diminishing returns kick in quite early as price rises.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
But, you still won't be able to hear the high frequency detail, unless you can buy a new set of ears.

My high frequency hearing diminished a while ago due to years of playing in Jazz bands, I blame the brass section.:cry:

Although RN's comment still stands as correct imo.

In general, a lot of cheaper equipment simply has 'unusable sound' - once the sound volume starts to increase and goes beyond a certain level then noticable distortion kicks in and you need to throttle back.

A mate of mine spent £500 on his pair of loudspeaker cables...

Seriously! :eek:
Bananas
Now that really is nonsense
Correct
With hearing loss, is it really worth buying any expensive HiFi gear as you get older?
View attachment 626374
These graphs don't go low enough for me...

I no longer have any vinyl, but, given my extreme hearing loss, I'd get a TT and cheap preamp and plug them into my Yamaha YST-MS30 2.1 computer speakers, which sound remarkably good for what they are.

presta

Guru
Im still listening to the system I assembled over time in the mid to late 80's. Hit ebay and sort yourself something similar for a few hundred sheets.
I still have the Pioneer system in the lounge that I bought in 1984, but it hasn't been used in a long while. Nowadays, if I want to listen to music I put You Tube on the laptop or TV, they have a bigger record collection than me.

Top Bottom