Recourse for a faulty iPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Apple were arrissholes with my daughters iPad that was still under warranty. I gave up and bought her a higher apec android one for half the price to replace it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Assume there’s no insurance or accidental damage cover on home contents if cannot get resolved under warranty?

Definately. My son killed his insulin pump by getting in the hot tub with it. It's a very very expensive bit of kit. This particular one is supposed to be fully waterproof - i.e. you can long distance swim with it. He did, however, find a small crack in the case. That said, the manufacturer sent a brand new one out immediately, and he then sent the the broken one back, no questions.

Stick it to them.
Even if the pump had survived - the heat of the water would destroy the insulin. Hot tubs and diabetes isn't a good mix - it would affect his glucose levels even if you didn't have the pump and insulin issues.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Inside the phone there will be a number of square moisture indicators. At least you know the reason for failure on that device. IP ratings give people false sense of security with water proofing. A number of factors play in. Obviously, closing the sim tray is one, but pressure is another. The pressure from a high powered tap, hose or fast flowing water source can affect the water resistance/proofing of a device. Clearly, an IP rating is better than nothing but really, its best seen as an emergency safety feature, rather than a operational feature. As others have said, dealing with Apple and other major tech brands can be an absolute nightmare...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Ouch. I previously worked in the industry, and this is the number one cause of handset faults. It's ridiculous the sort of things that can cause water damage - sweaty hands, bathroom condensation, cold (damp) car in the winter, sweaty t-shirt (those that strap their phones to their arms when running). It just proves these expensive phones are not fit for normal everyday use. You almost have to wrap them up in cotton wool.

There are usually a couple of indicators inside the phones that are only visible to the repair 'engineers' when they open them. They are not visible in normal light, it's a special light they shine on it.

If they've said water damage, there's not much you can do. Escalate to their store manager, but don't expect much movement. Or, take the matter to the phone network if you got it from them.

Don't try and open it, they will then blame you for voiding the warranty.

If you have cover on your home insurance, it might be less hassle doing an insurance claim. You will need to be flexible in disclosing the truth. So, it should go something like: "I dropped the phone out of my pocket and it fell on the pavement and smashed the screen". Might not help your cause to mention the water damage.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you watch that video I posted about the YouTube reviewer who dropped his iPhone accidentally in water for a few minutes you’ll note that he was asked to pay $100 for a new phone under icare, but when he asked the same question at another Apple store they said he didn’t need to pay.

Drago

Legendary Member
It isn't only Apple. A friend of mine is arguing with Samsung, Vodaphone and her insurers over a faulty screen on an £800 phone which is six months old.
The difference there is that if she fails and ends up having to replace it herself itll cost half or less that of an iphone.

You wouldnt mind paying the Apple-tax if you received some customer service in return. Ironically, Apple themselves are quite averse to paying tax when they can get away without doing so.

Also, having been inspired tomdo a bit of reading around, "water damage" is a bit misleading. It usually does not mean that its been immersed - more likely it means the pgone has spend a few dozen hours in a warm, sweaty, hip pocket, and the prolonged humidity has been enough to cause damage. Of course, one would expect a waterproof device to be able to survive mere humidity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep I fear we are on a hiding to nothing. This might be the last iPhone we buy. To be honest this is the only iPhone that’s not been dropped smashed by him. The irony is not lost !! Bought and paid for himself and it was looked after or so we thought !

Broadside

Guru
Sorry to hear if your problems, we have had plenty of phone repair issues ourselves.

We were however pleasantly surprised this year when my wife’s iPhone slipped out of a pocket and dropped in to a lake, it was missing for 10-15 mins until one of the kids spotted it, fortunately the lake water was crystal clear. No damage to the phone at all, I almost fell in to the lake myself with surprise!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You will need to be flexible in disclosing the truth. So, it should go something like: "I dropped the phone out of my pocket and it fell on the pavement and smashed the screen". Might not help your cause to mention the water damage.

I don't think that's an approach which should be encouraged or suggested on here, it's fraudulent.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep I fear we are on a hiding to nothing. This might be the last iPhone we buy. To be honest this is the only iPhone that’s not been dropped smashed by him. The irony is not lost !! Bought and paid for himself and it was looked after or so we thought !
Exsctly the same as Mini D's iPad. She desperately wanted one so I set her an academic target at school, and promised that if she met target I'd get her one. She busted her nuts to do it and was so proud of herself when I dropped 350 sheets on it for her, so to have it to south and Crapple to not give a foxtrot was galling to say the least.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I don't think that's an approach which should be encouraged or suggested on here, it's fraudulent.

The manufacturer has diagnosed water ingress and the phone's user has advised he doesn't recall the phone being near water. This would suggest accidental damage, when is covered by many insurance policies. What scenario the OP gives to their insurance policy is their choice.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The manufacturer has diagnosed water ingress and the phone's user has advised he doesn't recall the phone being near water. This would suggest accidental damage, when is covered by many insurance policies. What scenario the OP gives to their insurance policy is their choice.

My point stands. Suggesting he claims to have smashed the screen when it fell from his pocket is encouraging fraud, which is of no use to the OP or the rest of us whose premiums are increased by false claims.

If he has accidental damage cover then he should make a claim on the basis of accidental water ingress and use Apple's diagnosis in support.

Top Bottom