Recourse for a faulty iPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Sons iPhone 11 has gone faulty. Camera disabled itself , volume button stopped working and then after charging . Now will not power on/reset etc.
Apple are adamant it’s water liquid damaged. Son is adamant it’s never ever been in water. It’s less than 12 months and Apple appear to be given him short shrift.
Not a happy bunny is he nor I , very dissatisfied with the replies.
What recourse do we have ? iPhone 11 is meant to be water resistant anyway ??
Used to think they were decent enough to deal with reading online but this has changed my view.

PS not here for the shouldn’t have bought an iPhone. Dunno how other manufacturers would be different.

Final note , they said that the water indicator was showing but I/we cannot see it ? Any clues where they might be ??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are apparently indicators inside, but I bet condensation could cause issues TBH. I have heard of this before. You can only keep at Apple about it. You can't check yourself, which is a bit of a 'fiddle' Even new Samsungs are sealed now like Apple.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's pretty poor!

As for 'water' getting in... Is he a cyclist and if so does he do strenuous rides with the phone in a jersey pocket? I have been on rides with people whose phones have ended up doused in sweat! It isn't quite the same as dropping the phone in a puddle, but maybe that could have caused the problem?

Alternatively... My nephew got caught out in a thunderstorm and rain water got into his iPhone that way. (It was killed by the damp, but he dried it out in a bag of rice in an airing cupboard and it came back to life next time he charged it.) Any chance that your son forgot getting soaked?

vickster

Legendary Member
Has he tried taking it to a Genius Bar, they can show him what’s going on.
I thought newer iPhones were water resistant to a certain degree as you say (I have an 11 too)

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve asked him about damp etc but he says no! Doesn’t cycle , has been elsewhere where there is plenty water but is absolutely adamant that phone has been in a dry bag all the time. I’m just pissed at the response on a phone that cost £600 less than 12 months ago . It’s not right , no damage at all .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a difficult one. His word against theirs. Maybe get an independent report. The
iPhone 11 has a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes. How that translates into real world situations is another matter.
Only thing you can do is keep pushing their claimed water resistant thing.
That's the problem with buying s premium price phone, if it goes caput you're seriously out of pocket and if you bought it on contact you'll pay until it's finished.
These days you can get budget phones that offer good performance for around £200. Not such a disaster if things go t**s up.

fossyant

I'd be back to a store, as I'm sure these phones have a number of water indicators, and just getting it wet isn't enough of an excuse given the ratings they have. It would have to be in water a long time. I suspect the case sealing isn't upto scratch.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
That's a difficult one. His word against theirs. Maybe get an independent report. The
iPhone 11 has a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes. How that translates into real world situations is another matter.
Only thing you can do is keep pushing their claimed water resistant thing.
That's the problem with buying s premium price phone, if it goes caput you're seriously out of pocket and if you bought it on contact you'll pay until it's finished.
These days you can get budget phones that offer good performance for around £200. Not such a disaster if things go t**s up.
Yep think he’s learning , will be the last one he buys ,

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'd be back to a store, as I'm sure these phones have a number of water indicators, and just getting it wet isn't enough of an excuse given the ratings they have. It would have to be in water a long time. I suspect the case sealing isn't upto scratch.
Yep that’s the route I would go down. Will be phoning up tomorrow and I may jump in with my view.

fossyant

Yep that’s the route I would go down. Will be phoning up tomorrow and I may jump in with my view.

Definately. My son killed his insulin pump by getting in the hot tub with it. It's a very very expensive bit of kit. This particular one is supposed to be fully waterproof - i.e. you can long distance swim with it. He did, however, find a small crack in the case. That said, the manufacturer sent a brand new one out immediately, and he then sent the the broken one back, no questions.

Stick it to them.

Top Bottom