Recovery Compression Tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sc2021

Anyone try compression tights to aid in recovery. I’ve been doing some long Zwift workouts and looking for anything that will help my recovery. I’m reading fast after 50 by Joe Friel and it mentions compression to aid in recovery. Anyone try it? Tight recommendations? Thoughts?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Anyone try compression tights to aid in recovery. I’ve been doing some long Zwift workouts and looking for anything that will help my recovery. I’m reading fast after 50 by Joe Friel and it mentions compression to aid in recovery. Anyone try it? Tight recommendations? Thoughts?

There's an episode of the "sliced bread " BBC Podcast where they look into this exact subject. Also other training / recovery related practices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001b451

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I like the 2XU brand of compression tights. Mainly just used them while actually running though, but they do recovery ones as well. Seems to be mixed views of whether they make much difference or not.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I like the 2XU brand of compression tights. Mainly just used them while actually running though, but they do recovery ones as well. Seems to be mixed views of whether they make much difference or not.

The Podcast I referred to goes into that, they spoke with a leading exercise physiology scientist / researcher. Apparently compression tights used while running are counter productive as they restrict natural movement / blood flow. They are effective post run. A soak in the bath with Epsom salts actually works too! ( I think the body absorbs some of the Magnesium ) There's a couple of episodes where they look at running shoes, the £40 vs £400 question with some interesting conclusions.

I got some recovery leggings free with a subscription to some mag or other.

I think they did make a bit of a difference. Never really used them after cycling but after a long run or marathon I would.

I'll listen to the sliced bread podcast but they always seem to be on the fence in the episodes I've heard.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I got some recovery leggings free with a subscription to some mag or other.

I think they did make a bit of a difference. Never really used them after cycling but after a long run or marathon I would.

I'll listen to the sliced bread podcast but they always seem to be on the fence in the episodes I've heard.

Some episodes are less on the fence. I listened to the one where they were testing AA Batteries, from the Amazon Basics all the way to the Lithium Ultimate via Duracell. They got a School science class to rig identical battery powered fans and then timed how long until the fans stopped moving. ( they also spoke to a couple of scientists about battery chemistry / temperaature profiles etc. One gem was finding out what the Duracell claims to last up to " X " times longer. It refers to an obscure test that is decades old.

Top Bottom