Recovery of stolen bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
My GF’s bike was nicked about 18 months ago , it was sold on Gumtree and the cops said there was not enough evidence to convict the peanut that blagged it , anyway ; here we go , I am sure it is up for sale again on Gumtree........again . as it was sold on by the thieves and I can prove beyond doubt it’s ours can we , are we able to legally retrieve it. ? .

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, if it is beyond dispute your missing bike. Better still if you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt.

On the other hand, it might not be advisable.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Let it go. After 18 months it will not be the bike that was stolen. Is likely to be in such poor condition that recovering it will bring more anger/sorrow than it is worth. Been there and done it. You will question 'don't they care?' when you discover the damage and neglect the bike has suffered and the answer is no, they do not.

Venod

Eh up
I find this situation very unfair, the police should have recovered it for you from the original scumbag who stole it seeing as you can prove its yours, but the person selling it may have bought it in good faith and have no idea it was stolen, I have sold lots of bikes and frames all legitimate and I have never been asked for proof that they were mine, I have also bought bikes and frames without asking about their history, usually you get a feeling of the type of person you are buying from, but are we too trusting.

alicat

Legendary Member
Wot @cyberknight and @I like Skol said. I would go and have a look at it and decide what to do.

If it's still in reasonable nick and the seller looks like they bought it in good faith, I might decide to offer a very low price and shame them into accepting it.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Personally I would let it go , but GF does not let bygones etc , also do owe her , my Surly was nicked and some time later she saw it in Iceland Twickenham , so all less than 5’ of her went in and demanded it back from the bloke that said he’d bought it in good faith,she stood her ground and threatened to get the cops and informed him that the bike was reg’d ‘ all 6’ odd of him walked away !
There was a security guard in attendance so he must have thought twice about any physical stuff , There is no way I will part with money for something that is ours , hassle is something I have dealt with all my life having spent parts of my life in unsavoury environments , anyway I’ve contacted seller , from the photos it looks in good condition and there is one identifiable component that is very unique to that bike that is visible on the photo ,also was reg’d same day as mine , so I’ll go and have look if it is still up for grabs , it is actually within 6-700 meters away from Police Stn , which may be handy !

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I did read a little while ago of a lady in the same situation. Saw her bike for sale, made an appointment to view it and came with a minder.
She request a test ride giving the scroat her handbag as security (filled with newspaper) and cycled off info the sunset. The minder told the seller it was her bike and departed.
Your choice, the filth will do nothing. Shouldn't depend on the police station nearby, in all likelihood unmanned.

keithmac

Guru
Have you got the frame number?.

Really annoyed for you as it's your property and the Police should have sorted it first time round.

Probably why so many get stolen as the scrotes just get away scott free..

Drago

Legendary Member
Keep you eyes and ears open, assess it as you go along, and if it looks unsafe make you excuses and withdraw. Id at least go and see myself, but I'd take my Brother with me, who is much bigger than me, and I'm not exactly scrawny.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
The cop shop is manned 24 - 7 , have the original bill from Chain reaction, obviously if I do get to pay a visit I’ll be careful , , prob take my Son also , 6’4’’ Aussie lad built like a brick house , no one would argue with with him ,
Anyway not had a reply yet , so .....

Top Bottom