Recovery tactics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
As I’ve put before the commutes approximately a 30 mile round journey, with some sustained climbing. I’ve been doing it 2-3 days a week, although occasionally I’ve done 4 or 5. Normally I only do 2 days on the trot, rest on the third.

Doing that 3rd day on the trot is the killer for me, thighs are aching all along their length, along with some lower back stiffness. (Maybe I shouldn’t go chasing those flashing LEDs on the horizon?)

Any ideas for aiding recovery etc?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've found that eating, drinking, and sleeping more are the three key factors I need to pay attention to. For me that means recovery drink such as chocolate milk, and afternoon naps whenever possible.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
must admit I feel similar and i`m doing the same milage as yourself over undulating roads. Right now my legs are sore, my nose is running so can see this day being a recovery day. I did do 7 days on trot a couple of weeks ago and boy was i knacked then again I was on the road at 5.30am.I suppose what we really should be doing is eating and drinking properly to aid recovery and thats where my knowledge is limited. Folk have mentioned protien drinks before could that be the answer ?

Maz

Guru
How are you climbing the hills? Standing on the pedals? You probably know this already, but if you maintain the same cadence (revs/min) as when you're on the flats (i.e. ride in a lower gear), your legs won't hurt so much.

domtyler

Über Member
Have you tried a Whey Protein shake made with milk before bedtime? I know a lot of people on these boards will throw their hands up in the air at the thought of taking any kind of supplement but I found them to really help back in the Summer when I was doing a lot more miles. You can usually get good deals either on the net or in Health Food shops.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz – I manage to keep just about the same cadence from Canklow all the way upto the Brecks/Listerdale/Wickersley (couldn’t do that when I started!) and never stand on the pedals when climbing, I’d drop it a gear instead.

Dom – thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out.

I’d been thinking it’ll possibly be improved by some dietary modification. Not sure about protein supplements tho, I’m trying to slowly lose a bit of weight also. Theres probably about a stone too much on the bike when moving…:biggrin:

Sleeps not a problem. Getting plenty of early nights (4 months away from Mini Me No3 - sleep is a priority for ‘Our Lass’)

Todays a recovery day for me also. I think the chase after the stronger cyclist on Monday may have a little something to do with the current aches. Got my overall average speed up a couple of points from the usual:smile:. Hopefully back on the steed tomorrow.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
you do 30 miles a day 7 days a week ? If so i take my hat off to you, my neighbour over the road goes one better, he will do the 5 day work commute, going the long way so more than 30mile round trip and then tops it off with a 100 mile jaunt at the weekend !

QuickDraw

Have you tried just going slower? If you keep the effort at a very comfortable pace, the sort of pace you can keep up all day, you should be able to boost your mileage and once you're comfortable doing 5 days a week you can go back to chasing those LEDs on the horizon and get your speed back.

Top Bottom