Recovery times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I put my back out last week, and cycling to work last monday caused me all sorts or pain. It's nothing major but I have a constant ache, which is getting better.

I've been off the bike and excercise generally for a week now and it's doing my head in. I'm sure I've added a stone and can feel my muscles wasting.

I know it's a how long is a piece of string question, but what's a reasonable recovery time, and is cycling known to be tough on lower backs?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I used to have terrible back and knee trouble. Since i started cycling i have neither, so in my case it's actually helped.
Unless it's the "can't support you own weight" type of back trouble i'd give it a go.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Cycling will be tough on your lower back if you are pushing big gears rather than spinning. Also getting your saddle height and reach correct will help abate a good majority of aches and pains. I was off during December for 3 weeks after I lifted something heavy at work but I was confounding the issue by crunching big gears and also not having my seat height high enough.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

upsidedown said:
I used to have terrible back and knee trouble. Since i started cycling i have neither, so in my case it's actually helped.
Unless it's the "can't support you own weight" type of back trouble i'd give it a go.

It was really bad for a day, but that's after I lifted too much at the gym, I've given myself a week off so may pootle in tomorrow.

Dan B

Disengaged member
You might consider doing some abs work - a strong core will lessen the strain you're putting on your back.

Crankarm

Guru
scouserinlondon said:
I put my back out last week, and cycling to work last monday caused me all sorts or pain. It's nothing major but I have a constant ache, which is getting better.

I've been off the bike and excercise generally for a week now and it's doing my head in. I'm sure I've added a stone and can feel my muscles wasting.

I know it's a how long is a piece of string question, but what's a reasonable recovery time, and is cycling known to be tough on lower backs?

Well don't eat so much :hello:?

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Crankarm said:
+1 . Crunches lots of them - straight and diagonally elbows to opposite knees.

Good advice, though I think it was too many crunches that lead me to this position.

I've gone from being a very fat bloke to a moderatley fat bloke in the last few years and now I'm focusing on building strengh rather than joyless cardio I think I've over-done it a bit.

Crankarm

Guru
Didn't you hurt your back lifting too much? In all the years doing crunches I have never had an injury from them, if you do them properly. They stretch and strengthen your lower back and abdominal muscles. I think gyms are dangerous places. One can keep fit, trim and toned without ever going near a gym ;).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Crankarm said:
Didn't you hurt your back lifting too much? In all the years doing crunches I have never had an injury from them, if you do them properly. They stretch and strengthen your lower back and abdominal muscles. I think gyms are dangerous places. One can keep fit, trim and toned without ever going near a gym ;).

+ 1 i have a total gym in the shed and that combined with some free dumbbells is all i need to keep in shape.Helps a lot if you know how to perform a specific exercise to get the most benefit out of it without injury .
20 years ago i was a gym instructor so i am not going to pay extortionate gym subs and have to wait to use a piece of equipment;)
Guy across the road goes to the local gym at whatever price they charge and he might as well not bother ....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sounds to me like you're trying to do too much too soon. Take time with any exercise, time to slowly increase the combination of volume and intensity. Remember also that connective tissue takes a lot longer to get strong than does muscle. It can seem boring and conservative to take this approach, but you'll get fitter and stronger more quickly, and without the setbacks due to injury.

Top Bottom