Recovery tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I just did a hike that was clearly beyond my current fitness level. My leg muscles are still sore three days later. I see recovery drinks etc. on Amazon and I've had friends recommend Vitamin C and protein drinks such as Muscle Milk. What helps you reduce muscle soreness after extreme efforts? I'm keen to know what actually works vs advertising hype.

CXRAndy

Guru
Delayed muscle fatigue (DOMs) can last upto a week after over exertion. Even those who are training hard can have DOMs. Best methods are to have warm bath soon as exercise finishes. The fitter you get at the particular activity less and less soreness occurs.

You can still carry on training whilst recovery from DOMs, you need to warm up more thoroughly.

Take it easy for a few more days it will pass. As with any physical activity build up the duration and intensity in small jumps

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
protein drinks are supposed to be taken just after a workout but if you have a balanced diet its not really going to be much benefit , a glass of milk will contain enough .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sounds fairly normal when you overdo it. I did Snowdon with a dodgy knee earlier in the year. Couldn't walk next day. Plenty of hydration, some rest and gentle exercise.

I just did a hike that was clearly beyond my current fitness level. My leg muscles are still sore three days later. I see recovery drinks etc. on Amazon and I've had friends recommend Vitamin C and protein drinks such as Muscle Milk. What helps you reduce muscle soreness after extreme efforts? I'm keen to know what actually works vs advertising hype.

Milk shake is meant to have just about the ideal ratio of protein to carbs. I used to have a couple of those in my kit bag after marathon races.
No need for anything flash.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Guinness*

* Other stouts and porters are available. Theakston's Barista stout is a particular favourite.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds fairly normal when you overdo it. I did Snowdon with a dodgy knee earlier in the year. Couldn't walk next day. Plenty of hydration, some rest and gentle exercise.

Last year I went for a run on holiday as no bike,I went at my cardio fitness pace rather than running legs pace i could hardly walk the rest of the week

Last edited:
Last year I went for a run on holiday as no bike,I went at mt cardio fitness pace rather than running legs pacei could hardly walk the rest of the week

Yes you use the same heart and lungs for both - but very different leg muscles. I've made that mistake before too - our good cardio fitness lets us really knacker those legs properly !

Top Bottom