Recumbent clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think there's a case to be made for a waterproof top with the zip down the side as well as velcro straps at the sides so that you can eliminate the folds which gather in the belly area of conventional jackets and which collect rain water.

derall

Guru
I have a Rohan "Movin' On" top which I bought about fifteen years ago, sadly no longer made. Has a low pocket Lt & Rt, plus a higher central pocket on the chest. Lightweight and not particularly warm so good for summer only. Any old shorts. If I'm wearing longs, then it's bikesters. I also have a Lowe Alpine waterproof - made in the old traditional cagoule style so no zip to leak.

Andy in Sig said:
I think there's a case to be made for a waterproof top with the zip down the side as well as velcro straps at the sides so that you can eliminate the folds which gather in the belly area of conventional jackets and which collect rain water.

Freestyle in Plymouth used to make one - the "Layback"

freestyle%20jacket%20zip.jpg

If I remember correctly this was at least partially designed and market by ICE, but I think it sold in too small numbers to be financially viable

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
That's nearly along the lines I'm thinking of. Imagine if the zip ran along the boundary of the red and yello and the neck bit were secured by velcro. Also three velcro hold down strips at around belly level to eliminate the water gathering folds. I think that as time goes by recumbents will increase in popularity and the products will become viable. In the meantime there is probably a market for a cottage industry style firm as in the link given above.

Fiona N

Veteran
I think Neall Designs has already been here - I'll post a picture when the camera's charged. I made a pertex top for fell running with slim mesh side panels which velcro closed if required. The neck has a neoprene seal so water doesn't drip down your neck (man, I hate that :smile:) As wind-proofness was the real function rather than water-proofness, the front zip just has a single overlap of reflective material for running back on the roads. The fit is very slim as I also hate loads of flapping material as it's pretty windy on the tops so anything which can flap does.
It would be pretty easy to take the design and make it up in waterproof stuff. I must admit that I've never been troubled with puddles on the midriff when out on the 'bents in the rain. I use an old Gore Bike Wear (really old - like 15+ years) rain smock with only a short front zip. It's really basic, elasticated cuffs, draw-cord hem and a nice baffle behind the short zip. No pockets at all. But it works fine.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
That seems interesting. I do think a front pocket for e.g. a map would be a good thing for bent riding though. I wonder if between a few of us we could come up with a design and get one knocked up?

spiro

For riding in the rain on a trike has anyone tried or thought about using a cycling cape with hood? Looks like it would keep you dry, no drips down the neck, cover most of the seat and handle bars and no zips to leak.

dataretriever

No, i've never thought about using a cycle cape!

Wouldn't it just inflate like a parachute and flap about?

Ron Hills or suchlike are great, as are knee cut offs that are woven with a bit of a stretch. I find normal zips on jackets bunch up and get in the way, shall have to find an alternative to that. On my current trike I have toe clips as it's a Delta, so don't need clipless, so can cycle in any shoes which is a help as I don't always want to walk around in cycling gear!

Re the cycling cape, I'd thought of that one and have a child's one from Lidl which I think wouldn't flap too much. You could somehow secure it to prevent it flapping about. I'll try it next time I go out in rain.

Fiona N

Veteran
Oh no - they would facilitate puddling in the groin area :laugh: not to mention wet bum as the water soaked around to the bottom side ;)

dataretriever

Sports Direct have water and windproof Karrimor running jackets and vests in Blue, Yellow and black in their sale at about £12. They have pockets on the sides, vents and full length front zips. They look ideal for laid back stuff and I'd have bought one but the cuffs only reached about halfway between my elbows and wrists. Probably better for the less orangutan-like body shaped......

Top Bottom