Recumbent Riders And Cyclists View On Traffic

What vehicles do you find the most offensive to cycling by bad operation.

• Private cars

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Private vans

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Sign written cars and vans.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Buses

• Taxis

• Lorrys

• Farm vehicles

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrel Chaser

Being a regular road user by recumbent trike I'm wondering who else bothers with this.
Finding that cars are going faster and faster these days I'm really having to shift along in order to be at a safe speed in relation to the traffic.
I'm definitely finding that using the trike is far safer than a bike due to the fact cars just can't squeeze past.
Currently averaging around 20mph and regularly faster most vehicles seem to be ok.
I'm finding mostly tho that it's cars that drive badly, usually school run people that are late probably due to incompetence.
So let's see how it is .... Have a poll....

markemark

Über Member
Tis why I find riding in the city far more enjoyable than country roads these days. The relative speed is much more in my favour.

So, in answer to your poll, my thoughts are that it is not the vehicle but the where the road is, the speed limit, the volume of traffic and whether there is any enforcement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121159

SUVs on narrow roads trying to squeeze in. Also cars with whatever type of trailer often don't realise that the thing they're hauling may be wider than the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Since I started using lights and taking the lane I've had very very few issues.

Some of that maybe that life is a little slower in the south west, and that there are reasonably high numbers of cyclists here, but I've found the same in Bristol and London.

BTW I don't do hi vis or headgear.

Alex321

Veteran
Here in the Vale of Glamorgan, I'm lucky in that motorised road users are usually very considreate to cyclists.

The few who aren't are usually private cars or vans, but they really are quite rare.

Similarly to what All Uphill says, this may be at least partly because cyclists are so common here.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
BMW's; all models, all ages. No other car, van, tractor, lorry cuts me up on the recumbent trikes in enough numbers to be noticeable.

D

Deleted member 121159

Here in the Vale of Glamorgan, I'm lucky in that motorised road users are usually very considreate to cyclists.

The few who aren't are usually private cars or vans, but they really are quite rare.

Similarly to what All Uphill says, this may be at least partly because cyclists are so common here.

Vale and Monmouthshire I don't find too bad. Cardiff and the valleys are a different story.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
There are good and bad, we share the roads so stop making waves it's NOT about them and us.

D

Deleted member 121159

There are good and bad, we share the roads so stop making waves it's NOT about them and us.

I beg to differ on that. It is about them and us. Motorists generally want to transform or maintain the road infrastructure to suit their needs, i.e., high speed and no annoying slow road users around. We want to use the roads at our speed and not get threatened and harassed. Bikes and cars are very different types of vehicle and need very different types of infrastructure. We want more of our thing, they want more of their thing.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Tis why I find riding in the city far more enjoyable than country roads these days. The relative speed is much more in my favour.

So, in answer to your poll, my thoughts are that it is not the vehicle but the where the road is, the speed limit, the volume of traffic and whether there is any enforcement.

I can see what you mean about town/city riding having lower speed differentials. Does feel safer. And there's a certain crazed fun element to riding fast with the traffic.

But i'd rather be out somewhere rural with no congestion, or not many vehicles at all, and cleaner air, and not having to stop for traffic lights every few hundred yards!

OP
OP
S

Squirrel Chaser

But i'd rather be out somewhere rural with no congestion, or not many vehicles at all, and cleaner air, and not having to stop for traffic lights every few Hundred yards
Well then you will be mixing with cars lorrys and tractors doing high speeds.
Do you think you can cope with that or would it be best for you to stay somewhere more urban?

Top Bottom