Recumbent Riders And Cyclists View On Traffic

What vehicles do you find the most offensive to cycling by bad operation.

• Private cars

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Private vans

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Sign written cars and vans.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Buses

• Taxis

• Lorrys

• Farm vehicles

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
I find scaffolders need to be kept an eye on and horse owners in 4 x 4 esp around school time.

I think its the dash between school and stable is what is all encompassing.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Curiously, my Linear LWB bike is a couple of inches wider than my narrow track trike as well as being more upright so must appear bigger to other traffic. The trike is pretty low for a delta type yet I always get given plenty of room on it. The extra wheel seems to make other drivers more nervous around it than the two wheeler, if that's possible.

Slick

Guru
I find scaffolders need to be kept an eye on and horse owners in 4 x 4 esp around school time.

I think its the dash between school and stable is what is all encompassing.

I ran a scaffolding business for years.

I discovered 2 interesting facts. It turns out, I'm the second best scaffolder in the country, because every other one I have ever met is the best. Also, they are the best drivers on the planet. As every time I would ask who was driving the truck when the mirror/bumpers or any other non essential part of the truck that was definitely there when it left my yard but had now disappeared, it wasn't them. :banghead:

classic33

Leg End Member
Well then you will be mixing with cars lorrys and tractors doing high speeds.
Do you think you can cope with that or would it be best for you to stay somewhere more urban?
Cars, depends on whether the drivers are local or not.
Local drivers tend to know the bad parts of the roads, possible passing points better than drivers just passing through. Tractor drivers are often at a similar height to a lorry driver, but often with a better all round view. They tend, in my opinion, know on narrower roads where they can pass you. Some seem to think that because you've not heard them you don't know they're there. But, if you remember that they are working and let them go when you feel it's safe to do so they'll appreciate what you did. Also handy letting them go, as anything coming the other way has to slow or stop for them. More so if there's machinery mounted on the rear.

Big T

Guru
The worst drivers tend to be the third one overtaking.

I’ve noticed this too. It’s because they are playing “ Follow my leader”. It’s quite often safe for the first car to overtake, but not the 2nd and 3rd, so they get progressively closer in order to avoid the oncoming traffic. Had an occasion last year where, approaching a 90 degree bend, 3 cars approached from behind. The first 2 overtook before the bend, the 3rd on the bend and there was a car coming the other way, so she had to pull in sharpish, almost knocking me off. Luckily, I was running my front camera and sent the footage to the Police, who went on to prosecute her for careless driving.

Top Bottom