Recumbents and Pee Breaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a previous life I did a bit of scuba diving. I could almost guarantee within 20 mins of getting into the water I would be bursting. There‘s not much that you can do if you’re 20m and need to do a decompression stop before you surface... one had to, er, adapt to the circumstances. Talking to other divers it appears I was not alone. It could be that the more horizontal position and relatively higher blood pressure at the kidney level (vs standing or sitting) has an effect.

That said I don’t notice a problem even on my most laid back of laidbacks.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In a previous life I did a bit of scuba diving. I could almost guarantee within 20 mins of getting into the water I would be bursting. There‘s not much that you can do if you’re 20m and need to do a decompression stop before you surface... one had to, er, adapt to the circumstances. Talking to other divers it appears I was not alone. It could be that the more horizontal position and relatively higher blood pressure at the kidney level (vs standing or sitting) has an effect.

Never found that to be problem myself.
Sometimes a someone would jump in with the pee zip undone.:rolleyes: Panic. My suit had no pee zip.
That is one advantage of wet suits when we started, warms you up nicely.
You must have been down for some time to do a decompression stop from 20M. We regularly went to
25 or 30M and just had a slow ascent as normal.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Is your need to pass urine only associated with riding the Linear? If you are over 50 have you had a well man check? Enlarged prostate may be the culprit.......... very common and symptoms can often be relieved with medication - but also worth excluding prostate malignancy which if identified early responds well to treatment.....
If in doubt - get checked out!

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Is your need to pass urine only associated with riding the Linear? If you are over 50 have you had a well man check? Enlarged prostate may be the culprit.......... very common and symptoms can often be relieved with medication - but also worth excluding prostate malignancy which if identified early responds well to treatment.....
Been there, done that, got the T shirt. I have gone through the uncomfortable pokings, proddings, investigations, scans and indignities which many blokes my age have undergone and I have to say that the NHS has been excellent throughout, despite being in the middle of the COVID-19 lockdown last year.

The majority of chaps my age will have an enlarged prostate whether they are showing symptoms yet or not, fortunately mine is benign and amenable to medication. The symptom which led to the investigations was not problems in passing or retaining urine, but passing blood. I don't mind telling you that it was extremely frightening. Fortunately the cause was easily identified and treatable. If any of you have similar symptoms I would emphasise @mrandmrspoves advice and get it checked out.

I don't have a back to back upright ride to directly compare with the Linear as my longer rides tend to be on the Linear nowadays. My expectation would be that the relaxed ride on the Linear would make you want to go less, compared with pounding your perineum on the saddle of an upright.
My impression, though, was that I needed to go less when riding an upright (but not done a longish ride on it since I got the Linear).
Still, I'm pleased to have had all the responses so far.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Perhaps it's time to change your CC name to a.piddler ?
Or a.(t)widdler. I had given it some thought!

byegad

Legendary Member
That was my first thought. Having ridden recumbents since 2005 and only recumbents since 2008, and being a certain age, I have not noticed this effect.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I find that when swimming. I put it down to osmosis:laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A catheter tube may solve the problem... just don't flush when standing...
Trouble with a catheter is that you have no control and that why there is a bag on the end of it. Don't ask how I know but I will say that it is a great pleasure just standing there and having a normal pee after it is removed.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Trouble with a catheter is that you have no control and that why there is a bag on the end of it. Don't ask how I know but I will say that it is a great pleasure just standing there and having a normal pee after it is removed.

You can have a flip-flow valve, but you must release it every hour, and of course reconnect it to a bag at night time.
I know this as I've read the book and seen the film and been there.:sad:

Never found that to be problem myself.
Sometimes a someone would jump in with the pee zip undone.:rolleyes: Panic. My suit had no pee zip.
That is one advantage of wet suits when we started, warms you up nicely.
You must have been down for some time to do a decompression stop from 20M. We regularly went to
25 or 30M and just had a slow ascent as normal.

now that my OH reminds me, it was a safety stop.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
You are referring to indwelling catheters which by their nature pass through the exit of the bladder thus taking away the ability to control the flow.
The external catheters designed for recreational activities work like a condom with a fitting for a drainage tube at the end. They are based on medical devices for short term use where conventional catheters could not be used. They don't affect your control of the flow, so can be used with a bag or without. Might be worth a look, though they are better tolerated by some individuals than by others.

Top Bottom