Recumbents and Pee Breaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
You are referring to indwelling catheters which by their nature pass through the exit of the bladder thus taking away the ability to control the flow.
The external catheters designed for recreational activities work like a condom with a fitting for a drainage tube at the end. They are based on medical devices for short term use where conventional catheters could not be used. They don't affect your control of the flow, so can be used with a bag or without. Might be worth a look, though they are better tolerated by some individuals than by others.

Condom catheters work best if your circumcised

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Sooo......may be more suited to roundheads than cavaliers.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Seems like this thread has run dry.

Maybe I'll have to carry a discreet container to be used under cover of peering at a large map while stationary on the bike, or take opportunities as they occur. Maybe use a cape if it's raining. Just to minimise the time spent looking for a suitable place, and the time taken to do the deed. It's hard to avoid attracting a crowd on this bike wherever it stops, so the less time spent without the wheels turning, the better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Seems like this thread has run dry.

Maybe I'll have to carry a discreet container to be used under cover of peering at a large map while stationary on the bike, or take opportunities as they occur. Maybe use a cape if it's raining. Just to minimise the time spent looking for a suitable place, and the time taken to do the deed. It's hard to avoid attracting a crowd on this bike wherever it stops, so the less time spent without the wheels turning, the better.

Cycle in less populated areas. You’ll never form a crowd in country lanes

PaulM

Guru
I leave the bike on one side of the road, and look for a bit of cover on the other side of the road so the bike distracts any observers. Maybe take off your helmet and hi-viz to be less conspicuous.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
or ........

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Cycle in less populated areas. You’ll never form a crowd in country lanes
That's my natural inclination, unless I'm going to a particular destination. Nevertheless it's amazing how bunch of walkers can suddenly appear even in the middle of nowhere. Even a busload of nuns, fleets of cars, tractors from adjacent fields. It's like unzipping that zip sends a message to the universe, even when you haven't seen anyone for ages.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
It might be the thing for professionals who can't waste a nanosecond in the middle of a race but for most people, a thing to be avoided. A hint to the chap in the picture -wear dark trousers! As for myself, I'm probably old and unappealing enough without going around smelling of wee as well. That's apart from the discomfort of cold squelching sensations in the undercrackers department while pedalling along.

climo

Über Member
Makes me pee a lot, very often and copiously. I'd hate to ride through a city!
I believe it to be a combination of the position and vibration though I have a full sus trike with a seatpad. 2nd coffee is a no no.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
I was beginning to wonder if it was just me, both the recumbent induced urge to go, and the zip induced population increase, judging from the replies from the owners of apparently Herculean bladders in the previous 3 pages.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Happened to me yesterday. I knew I was going to have to stop soon and since it is a route I know I planned a spot. Not a soul to be seen and no bikes in view. Mid flow heard a noise behind me and there was a ped who had obviously just dropped from the heavens.

BigT

Regular
Recumbent Bladder is a real thing. My primary Bent forum, BROL, has threads dating back more than a decade that address the topic in great detail. All sorts of reasons are given and speculated on. All I know is, it happens to me when on my recumbents, and doesn't happen when I ride a DF.
It's been that way for years, even when I was in my early 30's and didn't have BPH, so I'm not convinced it's related, at least not directly, to the size of my prostate.

For years my only defense was to dehydrate myself so the need wouldn't hit me between available bathroom stops, or for the duration of the ride.
That meant I had to keep my rides to less than 20 miles, or plan my bathroom stops and hydration well ahead of time. PITA.

Now in my mid-50's, my kidneys are thanking me with multiple bouts of kidney stones. Right now I've got 4 of them, none less than 4mm in size, so my doctor's orders are to drink a gallon of H2O a day. If I don't, my pee quickly turns brown. I also get digestion issues if I don't drink enough water (Isn't getting old fun?).
This massive increase in fluid intake means that due to my Recumbent Bladder, I can't ride nearly as far without having to stop.

As for simply peeing in the bushes... Some of my favorite local bike paths are sparse on bathrooms, trees or shrubs, but plentiful on frolicking children or families out for a little fresh air, so dropping my shorts and exposing myself isn't an option I wish to explore any more than absolutely necessary..... or ever.

Then about two weeks ago, I stumbled on a cycling blog post called "Use of external catheter for racing (or just convenience)", and I kid you not, my recumbent riding life was changed forever! OMG, this is fantastic! Now I can just enjoy the ride and not think about how far I am from the next bathroom stop and how much water I can drink.

To be clear, I'm not wearing a complete system with a bag and bunch of hose. I've got the condom part, and about 12" of hose that sticks out of my Spandex riding shorts, just above my knee. I tuck the hose in when not in use so it doesn't show.

I'm thrilled with the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom