Recycling bottles and cans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

I've never really noticed the recycling boxes others put out for collection before but I did today. The whole street seems to be full of problem drinkers and I don't feel too bad about my odd 4 cans of lager every week or so.

longers

Legendary Member
I've hardly noticed the boxes others put out on my street because hardly anyone does.
I never feel bad about it being nearly full everytime either. :blush:

Peyote

simoncc said:
I've never really noticed the recycling boxes others put out for collection before but I did today. The whole street seems to be full of problem drinkers and I don't feel too bad about my odd 4 cans of lager every week or so.

It is quite scary when you see one of those big crates full of cans and bottles, I always wonder whether the house is occupied by an alcocholic, someone who has a lot of parties, or just fifteen people!

PS - "too bad about my odd 4 cans" no need to feel bad at all!

longers

Legendary Member
Having just had a paycheck and it being somewhat smaller than usual (a disadvantage of holidays - it's very hard to do overtime when you're not there), I won't be filling it for a few weeks. :blush:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I don't normally drink midweek, but will often have 4 tinnies on a Friday eve, 2 on Sat and 2 on Sun (8 tinnies in a weekend). Looks quite a lot in the clear plastic recycling bags they give us up here. They collect them every 2 weeks, so that's 16 tinnies for all the world to see. It isn't an excessive amount to drink (I don't think) but it looks like I have it for breakfast when you put them all together. None of my neighbours have any tinnies at all... then I realised how many wine bottles they try to sneak out to the bottle bank each week, and now I feel smug. :blush:

Cab

Its great, I've lost track of how many times I've raided other peoples recycling boxes to get bottles for my homebrew wine!

SamNichols

Cab said:
Its great, I've lost track of how many times I've raided other peoples recycling boxes to get bottles for my homebrew wine!

I believe we used to have a saying about people like you at primary school. It was: [disgusted tone] 'err Bin-picker'.

longers

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
I believe we used to have a saying about people like you at primary school. It was: [disgusted tone] 'err Bin-picker'.

:angry: We used to call them Scratters. And I've grown up to be one.:blush:

Cab

SamNichols said:

Bin picking, skip diving, foraging, salvaging... I'm not above any of those :biggrin:

I used to do that too Cab, in the days when I made all my own wine and beer.
Our recycling bin is always full, usually with Stella cans, beer bottles, wine bottles and even the occasional empty single malt bottle to lend it a touch of class. Two weeks of normal drinking sees it full, or one if we have a bit of a session over the weekend.:biggrin:

Johnny Thin

Like Fnaar, I try to be dry 3-4 days pw but only put my box out about once pm so it look like loads. I can't bring myself to recycle beer bottles and just hoard them so I try to buy cans - have you seen how much energy it takes to smelt glass for example?

Top Bottom