Recycling crushed cans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
<rant>
I take my recycling (cans, glass & plastic) to the recycling machine at Tesco. I take them in the trailer behind the bicycle.

In order to get more in, I have bought a can crusher.

So off I pedalled all pleased with myself, triple load of cans behind, only to find that the machine does not recognise crushed cans so they all went in the bin!!

GGgggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrr :cursing:
</rant>

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Surely there must have been one of those big old recycle bins somewhere?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Don't you have a recyclables kerbside collection? Salford Council certainly collect NT's recyclables.

Crushing is certainly a good idea, but the machine might require them whole to fit through an automatic sorter. Does this machine take all sorts of recycling, or just cans? The trouble with machines (unlike us human sorters) is that they aren't intelligent enough to recognise a can as a can unless it's the right shape.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
Don't you have a recyclables kerbside collection? Salford Council certainly collect NT's recyclables.

Crushing is certainly a good idea, but the machine might require them whole to fit through an automatic sorter. Does this machine take all sorts of recycling, or just cans? The trouble with machines (unlike us human sorters) is that they aren't intelligent enough to recognise a can as a can unless it's the right shape.
The machine takes all recycling; glass, tins, plastic.. but it, like you say, only likes things the right shape :sad:

It gives Clubcard points for metal if you scan your card (I don't). so maybe that's why it's strict.

No kerbside collection for me because I live in a block with communal bins :sad:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
What I don't get is when you take your bottles to the recycling bins and some numpty has just piled their bottles on the floor or just left the bags by the bins. If you're bright enough to recycle why fall at the last hurdle - put the fuggers in the bin, won't take you a minute!

Get the dabs off the bottles, find out where they live, take them back to their house and lob 'em through their front room window - that'll learn 'em.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What I don't get is when you take your bottles to the recycling bins and some numpty has just piled their bottles on the floor or just left the bags by the bins. If you're bright enough to recycle why fall at the last hurdle - put the fuggers in the bin, won't take you a minute!

You want to come out on a round with us. Your "What I don't get..." reading would go off the scale.... I have a colleague whose special bugbear is a box of all the wrong sort of stuff, with the only recyclable thing being our leaflet saying what's recyclable, at the bottom. Why bother? And don't get me started on people who tear up cereal boxes into little pieces....

Moss, I'm fairly sure you ought to be given a recycling collection, where ever you live, by law. We certainly service flats with communal binstores in York (and I've got about a dozen different doorcodes held in my head because of it!), and the council do others with big bins for recycling. Might be worth checking with your management people or the council - although in our experience, some property management companies rank just below the council in terms of useful communication and intelligence....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Get the dabs off the bottles, find out where they live, take them back to their house and lob 'em through their front room window - that'll learn 'em.

With some petrol and a bit of cloth stuffed in the top...lighted of course.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You want to come out on a round with us. Your "What I don't get..." reading would go off the scale.... I have a colleague whose special bugbear is a box of all the wrong sort of stuff, with the only recyclable thing being our leaflet saying what's recyclable, at the bottom. Why bother? And don't get me started on people who tear up cereal boxes into little piece

Sara_H

Guru
W
You want to come out on a round with us. Your "What I don't get..." reading would go off the scale.... I have a colleague whose special bugbear is a box of all the wrong sort of stuff, with the only recyclable thing being our leaflet saying what's recyclable, at the bottom. Why bother? And don't get me started on people who tear up cereal boxes into little pieces....

Moss, I'm fairly sure you ought to be given a recycling collection, where ever you live, by law. We certainly service flats with communal binstores in York (and I've got about a dozen different doorcodes held in my head because of it!), and the council do others with big bins for recycling. Might be worth checking with your management people or the council - although in our experience, some property management companies rank just below the council in terms of useful communication and intelligence....
What? Am I not meant to put cereal boxes in?

In Sheffield we have a glass and plastic collection, but it's only jars and bottles - mo yogurt pots, lastic food trays etc. We have a seperate collection for card and paper.

I collect all my other plastic and take it to the recycle bins at the supermarket.

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 2320167, member: 259"]But you can't mix them - they're different types of glass. :sad:[/quote]

Yup, same for drinking glasses. We have a guy on one round who has commented a couple of times on his neighbours leaving broken glass in their box, but he's only concerned about it being broken, no matter how many times we explain that we only leave it because it's drinking glasses. Broken bottles, we'll just deal with, that's why we wear gloves*... We're dead 'ard. we are.

*actually, the gloves are for me, mainly to avoid the joys of 'box-wee', the liquid that collects in the bottom of a recycling box when people don't bother to rinse out cans or finish bottles...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup, same for drinking glasses. We have a guy on one round who has commented a couple of times on his neighbours leaving broken glass in their box, but he's only concerned about it being broken, no matter how many times we explain that we only leave it because it's drinking glasses. Broken bottles, we'll just deal with, that's why we wear gloves*... We're dead 'ard. we are.

*actually, the gloves are for me, mainly to avoid the joys of 'box-wee', the liquid that collects in the bottom of a recycling box when people don't bother to rinse out cans or finish bottles...

Box-wee :ohmy:
I do actually wash out our recycle boxes and dustbin at the weekends as our collection days is a friday.

Top Bottom