Recycling presents - well, do you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
You know, you get a christmas or birthday present, decide it's shat or you have no use for it, so palm it off onto someone else.

I've just done one today - a box of Celebrations. No thanks, the 5 y.old's teaching assistant can have them.:whistle:

Wine is great - red in particular. Hate the stuff.

A few kiddy presents have got recycled too - an Etch a Sketch was one I remember.

Got an ALDI whisky glass and miniature off my mum last year. That'll be passed onto my dad this year, in a kind of get yer own back on parents sadistic way:evil:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I might have done it :whistle:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I think I've done this one before, but I once won a set of cranberry wineglasses in a raffle. They were clearly from a different era and I suspected they had come from a house clearance of a dead relative, they really were that awful. My mate couldn't stop taking the piss so a couple of months later I giftwrapped them and gave them to him for Christmas.
A week later it was my birthday, and I unwrapped his pressie to find a brand new fondue set in a slightly faded box. Itbhad definitely been bought in the 70s as the box still had the Timothy White label on it, but never opened or used.
He told.me when I rang him that he had got it for Christmas from his neighbour.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am more likely to hang onto it for ages in case they ask (they never do), before taking it to a charity shop eventually!
Same here, if I don't like stuff I don't give it as presents either, so it goes to charity shops.
Exceptions are if I know that the intended recipient will love the gift.
Recently got given a bottle of Baileys, I don't drink and the giver knew :wacko: so I re-gifted it. It was much appreciated, but she guessed right away that it was an unwanted gift, 'cause she knows I don't drink alcohol :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We recycle wine that has been given to us by friends who come round to supper. It gets taken to other friends if it survives at home. Other presents get taken to the charity shop after about fifteen years hidden in a drawer, unloved. I can't bring myself to "give" them to a friend. They might think that I was being slightly generous when I was really more interested in house clearance and garbage disposal.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'll re gift if I know the other person would like it, or in the case of alcohol.
I've won bottles of wine etc in raffles, and re gifted, as I don't drink it. Anything else goes to the charity shop.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I once received one of those horrible unhygienic cheese fondue sets at Christmas. I opened it and found bits of cheese on the pan and the forks,it'd been used by the looks of it.xx(

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a woman at work who's always giving us gifts. It's a bit weird tbh, and we think a lot of time she's just passing on tat that she doesn't want. Now we have a terrible set of crap pseudo-Japanese kitchen knives sat in the back of the cupboard. What the hell do we do with them?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Generally unwanted stuff goes to the charity shops, though 're-gifting' may occur for novelty presents

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a woman at work who's always giving us gifts. It's a bit weird tbh, and we think a lot of time she's just passing on tat that she doesn't want. Now we have a terrible set of crap pseudo-Japanese kitchen knives sat in the back of the cupboard. What the hell do we do with them?

Our basement is full of the ex stock of NT's Dad's electrical/hardware shop, which he insisted on bringing when the parents moved up here. (he wouldn't have a clearance sale, said it was all too valuable). There's also some random possessions and business supplies. We're now trying to get rid of it bit by bit (most of it being too out of date to be worth selling).

The other week we had a bunch of people over for inner and gave them the tour of the house, and when they came back up from the basement, they all had a rubber mallet, NT having opened a random box to show them.

Someone on Twitter saw us talking about this and said "oh, I'd like a random gift!". We've sent her a cheap Chinese novelty lantern (a relic of when NT's folks had a takeaway) and a Whitney Houston cassette.

Top Bottom