Red Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This Red Brompton was stolen with other bikes from Atterbury Street, London this afternoon. A passer by took this photo of a guy attacking another bike with a grinder. They were too afraid to approach them. Notice how he is wearing a helmet and viz belt to blend in as a cyclist.

Any information please pm me. It is not my bike.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Maybe the guy in the cycling gear owns the Brompton and is helping the other chap unlock his bike with a grinder because he lost the key?
Seems plausible based solely on the photos.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Maybe the guy in the cycling gear owns the Brompton and is helping the other chap unlock his bike with a grinder because he lost the key?
Seems plausible based solely on the photos.
But they also released 2 other bikes and moved them round the corner. The other guy was acting as lookout.

In the photo they are working on the third bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suppose if you happen upon that situation you are not entirely sure what's going on.

They look clean and tidy, which adds a veneer of respectability.

At first glance it could be 'lost key lawful occasions', although the world weary cynic in me would pick 'crime' every time.

Smudge

Veteran
I guess many people will be wary of intervening these days because of fear of assault, especially with knife crime being the way it is in cities like London.
I would have definitely called the police though.... although i wouldn't have had much hope of them getting there in time.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Shame the person taking the photos didn't have the guts to shout loudly 'Oi, those aren't your bikes' or 'Police on the way'.
It was 2 ladies who didnt like the idea of fighting with an angle grinder and 2guys. They got the photos and called the police who arrived in 5 minutes, but these guys had gone. I doubt if they would have left if 2 ladies challenged them.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I guess many people will be wary of intervening these days because of fear of assault, especially with knife crime being the way it is in cities like London.
I would have definitely called the police though.... although i wouldn't have had much hope of them getting there in time.
Not just London. County lines have pushed knife crime as well as drugs into the provinces. if you're in the drugs "business", you probably carry a weapon. Same goes for membership of any kind of gang, which again are usually in the drugs supply business.

Just from a casual observer (and fellow Brompton owner) standpoint, why would one 'lock" this uniquely portable folder up out of doors versus carrying it into safety with them? That go-with-me security is one of the Brompton's inherent value propositions...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A lot of places don't like it, although it's usually no dirtier than a wheelchair or pram. You couldn't take one into my workplace.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just from a casual observer (and fellow Brompton owner) standpoint, why would one 'lock" this uniquely portable folder up out of doors versus carrying it into safety with them? That go-with-me security is one of the Brompton's inherent value propositions...
Because its a bike and not a ball and chain. I lock mine up outside if I go shopping. I would hate to drag it all over the place on the off chance it got stolen.

Top Bottom