Red Light Jumpers-Satan or Saviour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
skrx said:
If I waited my turn in the queues (as someone's suggesting) it would take me two or three changes of the lights to get through. Call me impatient, but I'll be pushing in at the front ;-). Half the point of cycling to work is that it's quicker, and part of the reason it's quicker is because I can overtake all the standing traffic.

On a Sunday or at night, when there's less traffic, I'll stick in the (short) queue if the road is narrow, but if it's two+ lanes or has a cycle path I may as well ride to the front, there'll be plenty of room.

There's somewhere in the middle of the continuum...the one with at one end a muddle of headless chickens slipping on jelly, and at the other cyclists trickling through the lights in a slow, bureaucratic queue. It's that middle I want to hit.

Ride properly and you're in no more danger, and a lot more social, obeying reds.

I am obeying reds never set off early when the lights change.(That would be a mugs game how many times have I come across a RLJer from the opposite direction?)Am I wrong to stop advanced sometimes?

As to earlier I like covering the left/right hand turns,whatever is applicable to avoid the dodgy driving.As im slower now than a year ago I tend to hold back more because a bus can accelerate faster than a snail.

As to what EC says,apparently im a wobbly junction blocker who can't see the lights but never thought to wait for the traffic to move if I got into this situation.Also with twenty + years of cycling over the same route I really don't seem to know what I am doing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This was discussed years ago on C+ and we coined the term RLC or Red-Light-Creeping to describe edging into the no mans land areain front of the stop-line. IIRC it was considered an acceptable practice in that debate. The junction/lights were not being jumped, but using the extra space was considered acceptable for a bit more wobble/unclipping/getting up to speed time which can be usefull at some junctions.
I'm very anti RLJ, but ambivalent about RLC. I do it (RLC) very occasionally, particularly on uphill junctions. In effect, it's only like extending an ASL.
Mostly I prefer to slot back into the row of cars.

Trouble is the nice box with the bike in written with paint is normally occupied by a taxi or motorcycle not that im really bothered anyway.Never had those years ago anyway and I never say anything to the offender.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
mr_cellophane said:
I have given up trying to get to the front as all the ASL in London are full of motorbikes. No use queezing through and waiting ahead of the line as they are there as well.

and they all think they are valentino Rossi at the silverstone GP

Evilcat

As always, these threads seem to degenerate into the usual arguments ("I've been doing it for 200 years, never had an accident", "cars jump reds all the time", "ASLs full of motorbikes" etc. etc.).

Tell you what: I don't care. Human beings need to cooperate to exist, and showing respect, being polite and following rules that may not necessarily be for your own, individual benefit are part of this. Call me an unreconstructed old hippy, but if there was a little more respect and empathy amongst all users of the roads then my commute would be rather more fun. Instead, selfishness, self-centredness and confrontation seems to be the norm. I despair.

EC

Twanger

Über Member
Evilcat said:
As always, these threads seem to degenerate into the usual arguments ("I've been doing it for 200 years, never had an accident", "cars jump reds all the time", "ASLs full of motorbikes" etc. etc.).

Tell you what: I don't care. Human beings need to cooperate to exist, and showing respect, being polite and following rules that may not necessarily be for your own, individual benefit are part of this. Call me an unreconstructed old hippy, but if there was a little more respect and empathy amongst all users of the roads then my commute would be rather more fun. Instead, selfishness, self-centredness and confrontation seems to be the norm. I despair.

EC

You are an unreconstructed old hippy, and I agree with you. Except about teh depair. Mine is still fun.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
RLJ'ing is pure impatience and bad forward planning. If they'd look further than their nose ends, they'd see it was red, and simply coming off the gas for a few pedal strokes will see them sail through on green.

Sorry CP, I have to disagree with you there.

On my commute into the centre of London, I rarely have an opportunity to "roll up" to the lights...its more of a fight through various angles of standing cars, so I'm not really talking about the stop start "planning" of light approaches.

What I mean to discuss is the way in which you position yourself when you have to stop/start (when whell planned slowing is not an option)

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
mr_cellophane said:
If I buy the wool, has any one got a patten so I can knit one of these red light jumpers ?

lol

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So, In summary (and trying desperatley to get this thread "back on mission")

Red light CREEP (good phrase fab) could not only be considered acceptable etiquette but also a pretty good way of ensuring that other road sharers are aware of your presence.

On my own journey...we all have our own journey to make (that should keep EC happy while he/she still has his/her Hippy head on) I feel that I would rather put myself out in front of the ASL, where everyone can see me and where no-one can turn left onto me (or overtake me at as the lights shift and then turn left on me) whilst still staying within line of sight of the lights (clearly sensible).

I shall begin creeping with immediate effect...."you're looking good today, by the way" (that's just not the same thing at all is it?).

|so...does this mean that I am now considered a creep...mum will be so proud

silverbow

I would like to raise an issue with RLC as I see it. RLC puts the rider into an area where the traffic has been held back before the junction; this space is usually there to allow large vehicles turning space when negotiating the junction. Is this a space you want to occupy?

I must point out that I only have 1 set of lights on my commute and they are for a level crossing, so I avoid RLC or RLJ!

As always, these threads seem to degenerate into the usual arguments ("I've been doing it for 200 years,

I have been doing the same rout for over twenty years,it's a fact of my life.

never had an accident", "cars jump reds all the time", "ASLs full of motorbikes" etc. etc.).

Did I actually say that?

Tell you what: I don't care.

That's a good start then.Listent to my opinion (not).

Human beings need to cooperate to exist, and showing respect, being polite and following rules that may not necessarily be for your own, individual benefit are part of this.

Unfortunately your post does not come across that way.

Call me an unreconstructed old hippy,

I didn't call you anything but some parts of this post seem to be tinged with the general attitude of Londoners.

but if there was a little more respect and empathy amongst all users of the roads then my commute would be rather more fun. Instead, selfishness, self-centredness and confrontation seems to be the norm. I despair.

For what way in general? Because I don't stop dot on the white line.Ok then,you've had your say.Im a very bad person cyclist,looks like im not amongst the elite.

Do you actually practice what you preach?
Your post does not show it at all.

silverbow

hackbike 666 said:
As always, these threads seem to degenerate into the usual arguments ("I've been doing it for 200 years,

I have been doing the same rout for over twenty years,it's a fact of my life.

never had an accident", "cars jump reds all the time", "ASLs full of motorbikes" etc. etc.).

Did I actually say that?

Tell you what: I don't care.

That's a good start then.Listent to my opinion (not).

Human beings need to cooperate to exist, and showing respect, being polite and following rules that may not necessarily be for your own, individual benefit are part of this.

Unfortunately your post does not come across that way.

Call me an unreconstructed old hippy,

I didn't call you anything but some parts of this post seem to be tinged with the general attitude of Londoners.

but if there was a little more respect and empathy amongst all users of the roads then my commute would be rather more fun. Instead, selfishness, self-centredness and confrontation seems to be the norm. I despair.

For what way in general? Because I don't stop dot on the white line.Ok then,you've had your say.Im a very bad person cyclist,looks like im not amongst the elite.

Do you actually practice what you preach?
Your post does not show it at all.

I think evilcat was just trying to sum up what had been said. And the "unreconstructed old hippy" bit is a reflective narrative. I'm not sure it was an attack on anyone.

Fair enough just got a bit cheesed off.

If he changed cars to bikes I may be inclined to agree.

silverbow

Hackbike 666, I'm quite amazed you have cycled the same route for 20 years! I know this is off topic, but how many miles do you think you have commuted?

Top Bottom