Red Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Your knowledge of Ipswich and it's traffic control systems is impressive and most likely unrivalled. Chapeau.

Fortunately for me I live near what i consider to be the best lights in the town, every town needs one redeeming feature and Ipswich's is this particular set of four way traffic lights.

They are radar / motion sensor operated and will pick up a car or cyclist from quite a distance. During quiet periods, it is possible for them to turn red and then back to green ready for safe and unimpeded passage without the need to slow.

Don't keep us in suspense! For those of us who know Ipswich where are these magic lights?

Your knowledge of Ipswich and it's traffic control systems is impressive and most likely unrivalled. Chapeau.

Fortunately for me I live near what i consider to be the best lights in the town, every town needs one redeeming feature and Ipswich's is this particular set of four way traffic lights.

They are radar / motion sensor operated and will pick up a car or cyclist from quite a distance. During quiet periods, it is possible for them to turn red and then back to green ready for safe and unimpeded passage without the need to slow.
I must admit I've never actually been Ipswich, it was just a quick analysis of the streetview :smile:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Its hard to tell but it looks like St Margarets Green (maybe an ironic name) has a microwave detector and the south arm has an induction loop in the ground for the right turn and the straight ahead will probably be linked into a scoot or mova system. If its the right you are havung troubles with try approaching over the the middle of that loop, if you are still having problems contact the council and suggest they up the sensitivity as its a 'key' cycle route. I quite like commuting on my heavy steel SS as it sets of every sensor ;)

Bloody hell, that's the most impressive reply I've ever seen on CycleChat! Our local cyclist group has had a lot of success requesting light timing changes and whatnot.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Is that the crossroads between your house and The Case Has Altered?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I would say that if they are walking along a roadway, pushing a pram along a roadway roller skating along a roadway approaching traffic lights then they have issues beyond this discussion.
It happens that I was doing two of those three things at once the other day

Biker Joe

Über Member
A few years ago I was on my way to work,on my bike, about 5:30 in the morning.
No traffic around and I jumped a set of red lights.
I carried on down the road and out of nowhere a police car pulled me over. Goodness knows where they had been hiding.
They kept me hanging about for nearly 20 mins, checking ID, where was I going, did I know what red lights meant etc, etc.
Then they started checking my bike over for road worthiness. Didn't find anything and were just about to let me go after a warning when one of the officers noticed I hadn't got a bell.
Another lecture about safety on the roads and I was told to go to the police station within 3 days with my bike and a bell fitted.
I did get the bell but never went to the police station.
I never heard another thing about it.
Obey the law.

Dan B

Disengaged member
A bell is not a legal requirement on a bike. If the police told you otherwise they were misinformed

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
A bell is not a legal requirement on a bike. If the police told you otherwise they were misinformed

It is over here (Switzerland - http://www.pro-velo.ch/de/themen-und-angebote/velo-als-fahrzeug/velo-ausruestung/), though no member of my cycling club has one...or fellow competitors in races...or the majority of commuters. Somewhere there must be a massive heap of discarded bells (perfectly organized of course, this is Switzerland).

Dave 123

Legendary Member
If you do go through a red...... make sure that you are no hands, sat bolt upright and flicking the v with both hands so it will look great on the next "When television companies sensationalise cyclists and motorists" programme...... without a helmet!:thumbsup:

Top Bottom