Red passport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Its the date issued , some may have this.

My passport was issued more than 10 years ago - can I enter the EU?​

No. Some holidaymakers have been caught out at airports because their passports were issued more than 10 years ago. Up until 2018, the UK government allowed for unspent time on passports to be added to the new passport when renewing, meaning some UK passports are valid for more than 10 years.

This didn’t matter while the UK was in the EU because passports were valid up to and including the expiry date. But you will now be denied entry if your passport issue date was more than 10 years ago.
If you have an expired passport you can't enter another country, as before this is nothing new, if you're daft enough to not check your passport before you fly you desire all you get, or not get as the case may be.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you have an expired passport you can't enter another country, as before this is nothing new, if you're daft enough to not check your passport before you fly you desire all you get, or not get as the case may be.

You need to check that it’s not more than 10 years since issue. If you applied before the last one expired and thus the validity is more than 10 years, the EU now looks at 10 years after start date not the 10 years + xyz end date. And that there is 3-6 months remaining

Rocky

Hello decadence
You need to check that it’s not more than 10 years since issue. If you applied before the last one expired and thus the validity is more than 10 years, the EU now looks at 10 years after start date not the 10 years + xyz end date

Spot on!! Mine was issued in Oct 2015 and expires Sept 2026......although there is now a 10 year rule and so in reality I will have to renew it before Sep 2025. Easy to get caught out if you don't know the new rules.

D

Deleted member 26715

Spot on!! Mine was issued in Oct 2015 and expires Sept 2026......although there is now a 10 year rule and so in reality I will have to renew it before Sep 2025. Easy to get caught out if you don't know the new rules.
But by the same token you may not be able to enter a country up to 6 months before Sept 2025 again it's nothing really new just regurgitating the same news over & over again, has anyone got any actual figures of how many people have been refused entry because of it?

Rocky

Hello decadence
But by the same token you may not be able to enter a country up to 6 months before Sept 2025 again it's nothing really new just regurgitating the same news over & over again, has anyone got any actual figures of how many people have been refused entry because of it?

It's not just a case of being refused entry though, is it?

There's an issue of applying for the new passport early and for those of us who travel abroad regularly, scheduling it so that the potential passport office delays don't cause problems.

BTW I quoted my case as an example to back up what Vickster was posting....nothing like a little hard evidence even if it's an N of 1 sample.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

2 elderly couples from Macclesfield had their holiday plans ruined last year.

to be fair all sorts of garbage is regularly regugitated on here so we shouldn't be too hard on @Sallar55.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's not just a case of being refused entry though, is it?
Is it not? Why else would you use a passport?
Also is this just Europe or all countries, I could understand the confusion if EU were using the start date & US were using the end date, although US use 3 months before the end date as you have to be able to leave the country with a valid passport.

Drago

Legendary Member
2 elderly couples from Macclesfield had their holiday plans ruined last year.

They didn't "have" their plans ruined. They ruined them themselves through lack of adherence to the mantra or the 7 P's.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Is it not? Why else would you use a passport?
Also is this just Europe or all countries, I could understand the confusion if EU were using the start date & US were using the end date, although US use 3 months before the end date as you have to be able to leave the country with a valid passport.

I thought I was being clear....the changes affect planning. Hence this bit of my post which you didn't quote:

'There's an issue of applying for the new passport early and for those of us who travel abroad regularly, scheduling it so that the potential passport office delays don't cause problems'.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The issue is that this has changed.
When we were in the EU you just needed a valid passport, and the 10-year rule wasn't a thing.
Now we're out of the EU, the 10-year rule applies, and not everyone realises this. It's not like, say, the Government or the press ever mentioned this would happen before the referendum.
Just part and parcel of the sunlit uplands, trade deals with NZ and personal unicorns, I suppose.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Buy youself one of these:
78696a_5db8caf62ffc4378b23a5d6d8adf3709~mv2.jpg

Or, if you prefer, one of these:
78696a_091d22a446ac42f3a34e21a40ed80fb8~mv2.jpg

It will not make the slightest difference to the validity of your passport; but it might put a surly immigration cop on your side. In any case, it makes a point without engaging in discussion.

Or you could go the whole hog with this one:
fbd392b44b4266852efbde236ff0da~mv2_d_2362_2362_s_2.jpg

Enough to crack a smile on a Bulgarian border guard.

Slick

Guru
Buy youself one of these:
View attachment 698662

Or, if you prefer, one of these:
View attachment 698663
It will not make the slightest difference to the validity of your passport; but it might put a surly immigration cop on your side. In any case, it makes a point without engaging in discussion.

Or you could go the whole hog with this one:
View attachment 698664
Enough to crack a smile on a Bulgarian border guard.

I Wonder if there is a Scottish one. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Top Bottom