Reducing/ giving up to improve your health?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
I've been finding cycling a struggle for the last year or so. I've been a cyclist for around 6 years and at my best was doing around 200/250 miles a week and absolutely loved it.

Then I just started getting really tired and out of breath very easily, I'm only 27 but just thought I was probably over doing it all so cut back to around 100 miles a week. The more I cut back the unhappier I got but I didn't seem to feel any better or more rested.

Eventually I went to the doctors, had lots of tests all came back normal except a low heart rate. Now I know I'm healthy I'm pushing myself a little more again in the hope things will go back to how they were.

I'm doing around 150/200 a week now and although I'm enjoying it some of the time, it's hard work, I'm very tired and I get out of breath quickly, I just don't feel like me, it's very hard to explain. I'm not sure if it's the heart rate or what but something isn't right but then all my tests came back great...

In 3 and a half weeks time I have a long ride but after that I'm thinking of just knocking it right back to commuting only which is around 50 miles a week. But this makes me sad and I think I'll just get unfit and fat. Or do I stick with it and hope I just feel better.

I don't really know if anyone on here can offer any advice, or has been through similar and it's passed (I'd really love to here that!) Not really sure who else to talk to about this hence why I thought I would come on here.

It sounds like You're suffering from fatigue, due to over training. Winding your mileage and / or intensity back may help. I'd get checked out by a qualified medical practitioner as well, if I were you, just to make sure there's nothing more serious going on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try having a break and see if you feel better. Could just be overtrained or fatigued? Replace some of the cycling with another form of exercise like swimming or walking?

Or just slow the cycling down and enjoy a more relaxed pace?

If none of that helps, get a new bike for the undoubted placebo effect ;)

Low heart rate is quite usual with a regular cyclist, by low how low do you mean? myself and a few people I know our RHR is in the 40's. Feeling unhappy not cycling may be due to you not getting your endorphin boost brought on by excercise. Feeling tired and out of breath could be your smashing it all the time. There could be medical conditions your doctor did not check for, when I was very overwieght and could not lose wieght easily but had a low heart rate I suspected low thyroid , got tested but no, I just ate too much.
Could be other things like low hormone or certain vitamin levels or several other things.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
150/200 miles a week is a lot. I do that some weeks and usually feel knackered afterwards. Certainly to stay fit and healthy you don't need to do that many miles a week. You won't get unfit and fat from doing 50 commuting miles a week, that's still a lot. You could cut it down to commuting and just one 'recreational' ride a week and see how you feel. There's no point doing lots of miles just for the sake of it, if you're not enjoying it. I haven't done as many miles this week as I do usually, and I can feel some benefits.

Tin Pot

Guru
In your position I'd look at changing up my cycling and training, the body doesn't improve if you're doing the same stuff all the time.

I'd also look at nutrition and sleep patterns, try to make them regular and supporting the exercise I'm doing.

...but then I'm training for events. I just think it could benefit everyone. :smile:

My trainer has suggested I'm suffering from fatigue so I'm laying of it, a week later I get Achilles issues, so I'm definitely off it. :sad:

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
It sounds like You're suffering from fatigue, due to over training. Winding your mileage and / or intensity back may help. I'd get checked out by a qualified medical practitioner as well, if I were you, just to make sure there's nothing more serious going on.

Thanks, perhaps I just need to take it a bit easier I just find it hard to as I always want to be on the move!

I've had blood tests, X-ray's, ultrasound on neck lymph nodes and ECG all back as good!

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Try having a break and see if you feel better. Could just be overtrained or fatigued? Replace some of the cycling with another form of exercise like swimming or walking?

Or just slow the cycling down and enjoy a more relaxed pace?

If none of that helps, get a new bike for the undoubted placebo effect ;)

I thought dropping to 100 miles was taking it easy but it didn't make a difference to how I felt. Perhaps 50 would! I walk and swim on the side too but not a huge amount.

It has been a couple of years since I last got one, don't tempt me!

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought dropping to 100 miles was taking it easy but it didn't make a difference to how I felt. Perhaps 50 would! I walk and swim on the side too but not a huge amount.

It has been a couple of years since I last got one, don't tempt me!
A couple of years? :ohmy: That's long long overdue!!

Do you eat a good balanced diet and a lot? What blood tests did the Dr do? Do you feel worse at the 'wrong time of the month' or at certain points in your cycle?

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Low heart rate is quite usual with a regular cyclist, by low how low do you mean? myself and a few people I know our RHR is in the 40's. Feeling unhappy not cycling may be due to you not getting your endorphin boost brought on by excercise. Feeling tired and out of breath could be your smashing it all the time. There could be medical conditions your doctor did not check for, when I was very overwieght and could not lose wieght easily but had a low heart rate I suspected low thyroid , got tested but no, I just ate too much.
Could be other things like low hormone or certain vitamin levels or several other things.

It was 38 when undergoing tests. Doctors concluded I was healthy and just to see how it goes, perhaps if I did a bit less exercise it would be higher and then I wouldn't feel so groggy.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
150/200 miles a week is a lot. I do that some weeks and usually feel knackered afterwards. Certainly to stay fit and healthy you don't need to do that many miles a week. You won't get unfit and fat from doing 50 commuting miles a week, that's still a lot. You could cut it down to commuting and just one 'recreational' ride a week and see how you feel. There's no point doing lots of miles just for the sake of it, if you're not enjoying it. I haven't done as many miles this week as I do usually, and I can feel some benefits.

Good point, I think cutting back is the next step and see if that helps. It's just cycling has become a way of life, I won't know what to do with my spare time!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Good point, I think cutting back is the next step and see if that helps. It's just cycling has become a way of life, I won't know what to do with my spare time!
Are you in a cycling club? If not, consider joining one. It would make riding more interesting and they'd likely do social events outside of riding.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
In your position I'd look at changing up my cycling and training, the body doesn't improve if you're doing the same stuff all the time.

I'd also look at nutrition and sleep patterns, try to make them regular and supporting the exercise I'm doing.

...but then I'm training for events. I just think it could benefit everyone. :smile:

My trainer has suggested I'm suffering from fatigue so I'm laying of it, a week later I get Achilles issues, so I'm definitely off it. :sad:

I do a mix of on road and off road, all sorts of rides. I had been focusing more of off road and have now switched to on road but I feel the same on either bike. I'd say the first 10 miles are hardest then it seems to get a bit easier

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
A couple of years? :ohmy: That's long long overdue!!

Do you eat a good balanced diet and a lot? What blood tests did the Dr do? Do you feel worse at the 'wrong time of the month' or at certain points in your cycle?

They are both wonderful bikes though :biggrin:

I eat well yes, I'm small but always have been and for the last couple of years my diet has improved alot. I consistently feel tired and harder to breathe than I used to, nothing seems to change it :sad:

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Are you in a cycling club? If not, consider joining one. It would make riding more interesting and they'd likely do social events outside of riding.

Another thing to try thanks, perhaps I'm overthinking and a distraction could be all it takes to make me forget about it.

Top Bottom