Refitting Jockey Wheels question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Make sure you replace them correctly, the top jockey wheel has sideways "float" engineered into it to enable indexing to function quietly.
Don't ask me how I know this. :whistle:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
They are easy to tell apart, The top one moves side to side a bit (less than a mil) the bottom one doesn't. Also the top one has a removable metal insert that the bolt clamps tight and the jockey wheel revolves on that, not on the pin.

Ta, I realise now that when I cleaned them I did one at time so I replaced the top before I removed the bottom, however, I'm not sure if I replaced it the right way round. I'm off to check now.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3117397, member: 259"]Maybe you should ask for this thread to be locked now? :whistle:[/QUOTE]

If the thread had been titled the Thread Lock Thread, I could've asked for the the thread lock thread locker to lock the thread but it is not called the thread lock thread, it is called the Jockey Wheel Question thread, so, therefore your suggestion to have the thread locked by the thread locker is a moot point. D'ya get me thread? I wonder if the thread locker's name is Fred?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've always found that there is threadlock on the bolts when I replace the original jockey wheels so I presume it has to be there for a reason and always replace it using a low strength red colour threadlock. It would be a disaster for a jockey wheel to come loose miles from home when by simply aplying a drop of threadlock would have saved the day

I've ridden 150 miles per week on my commuter (built up in July 2009), in most weathers and never, ever, lost a jockey wheel. I grease the bolts.

zacklaws

Guru
Doing a quick search online, it seems that Park Tools recommends using threadlock.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul

End of the day, if manufacturers use it, then they have a reason for using it, and it probably stems from the fact, that bolts have been known to come loose

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Top Bottom