Refitting reflectors and mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

Oh no - not that old one again...

I just threw out my old Alu' cantilever brakes (they fizzed a bit when the caustic soda caught them, remember?) and replaced with new cantis but the straddle wires front and rear are lower than the old ones and I can't get mudguards and/or reflector arms to go back through the drill holes on the frame without the wires resting on them - not good.

Do I have to commute to work now with a wet backside (and without reflectors) or is there a workaround?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Zippy said:
Oh no - not that old one again...

I just threw out my old Alu' cantilever brakes (they fizzed a bit when the caustic soda caught them, remember?) and replaced with new cantis but the straddle wires front and rear are lower than the old ones and I can't get mudguards and/or reflector arms to go back through the drill holes on the frame without the wires resting on them - not good.

Do I have to commute to work now with a wet backside (and without reflectors) or is there a workaround?
1 x Red seat post reflector
2 x amber reflectors on rear of pedals
No other reflectors required in law for night time
sorted
1 x seatpost mounted rear mudguard to give some relief if totally impossible to banjo a normal mudguard in place

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

The new cantilevers are wider than the old ones so the straddle wires are stretched lower than before; hence I have had a struggle to tweak and fettle until I have got the reflector, mudguards and straddle wires to live peacefully together! But sorted now.

Thanks PorkyPete. I didn't know straddle wires came in different lengths; that would be a solution when looking for replacements.

Spartacus: I have sorted the white and red reflectors now, but you mention amber reflectors as a legal requirement. I usually wear ankle retroflector strips anyway, but how do folks fit reflector strips to SPDs - or don't they?

Jonathan M

Zippy said:
The new cantilevers are wider than the old ones so the straddle wires are stretched lower than before; hence I have had a struggle to tweak and fettle until I have got the reflector, mudguards and straddle wires to live peacefully together! But sorted now.

Thanks PorkyPete. I didn't know straddle wires came in different lengths; that would be a solution when looking for replacements.

Spartacus: I have sorted the white and red reflectors now, but you mention amber reflectors as a legal requirement. I usually wear ankle retroflector strips anyway, but how do folks fit reflector strips to SPDs - or don't they?

There are platforms that clip into one side of a pedal that also have reflectors, and mean you can still ride clipped in and have reflectors. I've got a feeling some countries insist that these are supplied with the pedals. It might be that your LBS will know more as my understanding is that new bikes have to be supplied with the reflectors fitted, what the owner does after leaving the shop is up to them. They may have these adaptors in cases of new bikes being sold with SPDs.

I'm like you though, and use some hi-viz reflective ankle bands most of the time.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Zippy said:

There are two kinds.
Have a look at Sheldon's "yoke or link wire" section here.
Very few places (nowhere?) seem to do all the different length link wires now. Even SJS do the "C" and the "D" only. Personally I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer the yoke type, so it's never bothered me.

Tektro used to do a "yoke" with an allen key fitting, a bit like this one from JagWire

BR2793.jpg

Again a similar one in use to show the details, thi time from Surly:

avidshorty6.jpg

Use a short length of old brake cable to set up the yoke and then fix in place with the normal bolt, altering the height to suitt your needs.

Then feed the wire down the centre section and tighten to set the lever tension.

Sorted!

Attachments

• avidshorty6.jpg
    avidshorty6.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom