Fitting mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Trying to fit mudguards onto my new bike - Ribble state there is clearance for mudguards for 25mm tyres but the bike ships with 28mm!

The tyre is fouling at the seat tube - I was thinking about supergluing a cable tie to the mudguard to tension the guard by attaching to the seat tube, terrible idea?

1000019587.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_133214690.jpg
    PXL_20240421_133214690.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 12

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wouldn't trust the superglue to hold long-term!

Looking at the photo... How about loosening the mudguard in the clamp at the brake, sliding it round a bit in an anticlockwise direction, then reclamping it? That should cause it to bulge outwards. Maybe that would give you enough clearance.

I had tight-fitting mudguards on one bike and they got clogged up with dried mud on one mucky winter ride. That made for a lot of friction which damaged the rear tyre before I stopped to scrape the mud out. Watch out for that kind of thing happening!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Without the guard fitted, how many mm are there between the current tyre and the seat tube?
Is the band-on FD getting in the way?
Those guards are almost exactly 1.5mm thick.
If there IS room there then the trick will be to minimise the depth of the fastening at the chainstay bridge and the same at the seatstay bridge (some filing required). And in addition shorten the effective length of the stays, bringing the guard closer to the tyre from 12 to 3 o'clock (maintaining clearance obv). That will 'spring' the guard and give the tyre (at its seat tube radius) maximum clearance.
You need to share how, exactly, you are securing the guard to the chainstay bridge. Millimetres might be saved.
Put some helicopter tape on the seat tube where the guard (almost) touches immediately, whatever remedial measures.
Or a 25-622 and save the tyre for front replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom