Reflections on a 200k Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:biggrin: Thank you Seamab, much appreciated! I was hoping for snippets of what the start and finish of an audax are like, what you were wearing and how you refueled (especially given the weather :tongue::biggrin: & gales) - on the go or stopping anywhere for a wee breather and some soup ? A real shame that your Garmin data are gone :sad: - you'll just have to do it all over again :biggrin:. I bet you are glad that you didn't have to put up with today's conditions :smile:.

T

mercurykev

Scoosh, I'm glad to hear that you made it round in one piece. The event had a bit of an a-typical start: it's not usual for so many folk to blast of in one group like that but I think the windy conditions made them stick together more than usual. I tried to give chase until Linlithgow but had to stop to fix a slipping seatpost and they disappeared into the distance. The next time I saw anyone was the first control (one of the reasons I carry a mp3 player on audaxes) and I then had company for the rest of the ride.

Well done though - not any easy 200 for your first bash. A sunny Snow Roads would be a walk in the park.

Seamab

Telemark said:
:biggrin: Thank you Seamab, much appreciated! I was hoping for snippets of what the start and finish of an audax are like, what you were wearing and how you refueled (especially given the weather ;):biggrin: & gales) - on the go or stopping anywhere for a wee breather and some soup ? A real shame that your Garmin data are gone :sad: - you'll just have to do it all over again :wacko:. I bet you are glad that you didn't have to put up with today's conditions B).

T
The finish was great - lots of food,: soup, tea, cakes, steak/macaroni pies....

I wore my biblongs, merino wool blend long sleeve jersey with my Gore windproof, showerproof jacket on top. I had overshoes and mitts. Quite a few had some kind of buff under their helmets but they make me too hot.

Refueling depends on how long you wish to stop. We had a hot coffee and goodie bag provided at 67K (this had biscuits and raisins and sweeties). At Callander 85K there was a bakers where i bought water and a few others were eating pies or rolls. Aberfoyle had a Co-op and cafes - i just stopped for a drink and a oat bar. Drymen had a Spar where i got some Gatorade. Bowtrees services (Kinc Br) had a coffee machine and i had another oat bar then a gel at Culross. I also had my 1.5L Camelbak with water and started off with a bottle of Gatorade. I had already drunk a bottle before the start where there was tea/coffee and continental breakfast available.
I didn't eat/drink enough but i always have this problem...

Seamab

scoosh said:
Ah ! That's what I was missing :smile:

Yes, the Lochwinnoch RV run has been my secret training weapon...It's a great run.

How did you get on with the navigation using your new super dooper Garmin GPS Etrex gadget?

ACS

Legendary Member
Seamab said:
Yes, the Lochwinnoch RV run has been my secret training weapon...It's a great run.

How did you get on with the navigation using your new super dooper Garmin GPS Etrex gadget?

Excellent question and very well presented if I may be so bold.

Looking at getting one of these but have never been brave enough to hit the purchase button. I would appreciate reading your review of this gadget.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Seamab said:

Not well at all :sad:

I seem to have an amazing ability to fail to get maps (first) now routes, loaded properly :biggrin:. There are some wonderful guides but, despite following all of the instructions, no route appears on my screen, nor on the GPS unit. It was this very point I was discussing with MercuryKev while you lot were sliding out the back gate .... :blush:

To add insult to injury, I was talking to GlasgowDave as we rode along and was appreciating his Vista HCx with perfect route, mapping etc and it seemed I was doing everything right - except getting the route on the GPS ! :biggrin:

I think I need to talk to the supplier or Garmin themselves ....

Thus far, it is 'The Expensive Paperweight' :smile:

Well done folks, that looks like a nice route.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Tynan said:
this is clearly all bollocks

since when did icy rain ever kill a wind

tsk
We have killer winds up here, you know - not like the wimpy things south of ... well, about York, I would guess ... :laugh:

Tynan

Veteran
'some wintery rain killed the wind'

I did four years in Bradford at Uni and in my experience there wintery rain and wind went togther very happily indeed, you can keep Northern weather, it's bad enough in the micro climate of London for me

tandemtigers

Veteran
Well done !

Congrats. Stand very proud. ::You've achieved our 2010 ambition...

We're Scots living in the South who ride a tandem. We started Audax (ing) last year and did a few 100k and one 100 mile ride. However, we've got a 2010 ambition of a 200k....well done to you for clocking up an early one...maybe see you on the Etape Caledonia?:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
tandemtigers said:
Congrats. Stand very proud. ::You've achieved our 2010 ambition...

We're Scots living in the South who ride a tandem. We started Audax (ing) last year and did a few 100k and one 100 mile ride. However, we've got a 2010 ambition of a 200k....well done to you for clocking up an early one...maybe see you on the Etape Caledonia?:
Thank You !

:biggrin: and :becool: to CycleChat TTs :blush:

Keep the ambition going - and enter a 200k ! As many have said to me: if you can do a 100, you can do a 200 - it's in the head, not the legs.

Yes, I will be at the Etape Caledonia - near the back, on my trusty grey Condor Fratello :blush:. There should be quite a big CC team, though most of them will be zooming off at a rate of knots ... while the rest of us will be 'enjoying the ride' :blush:

Top Bottom