Reflective clothing? - Summer and winter over clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anonymous

Regular
Hi,

I was looking at the Proviz CRS stuff which can be quite bright in the day, and really bright at night.. I had a look see online, and found this :
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/reflective-gilet-proviz-alternatives/

I've heard a few people saying it isn't great quality,and overpriced. I don't mind the price per se, however it should reflect the quality of whatever you're paying for

What clothing do people recommend? I'm guessing the Proviz helmet will at least be good?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I recommend stuff that covers all parts you want to cover to avoid offence and keeps you warm or cool enough for you; I also recommend putting good reflective stuff on the bike (at least the legal minimum) and not wasting time agonising over special-purpose clothing for which there's no evidence that it reduces cycling injury or inconvenience. Instead, use that time to get yourself a Level 3 Bikeability course, or campaign for other stuff that does more good, or maybe even ask for the unsupported-by-evidence clothing rule to be deleted from the highway code.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
I recommend stuff that covers all parts you want to cover to avoid offence and keeps you warm or cool enough for you; I also recommend putting good reflective stuff on the bike (at least the legal minimum) and not wasting time agonising over special-purpose clothing for which there's no evidence that it reduces cycling injury or inconvenience. Instead, use that time to get yourself a Level 3 Bikeability course, or campaign for other stuff that does more good, or maybe even ask for the unsupported-by-evidence clothing rule to be deleted from the highway code.
Perhaps, but even if say someone hits me, whatever the evidence says, the courts will favour me if I was obviously visible.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Perhaps, but even if say someone hits me, whatever the evidence says, the courts will favour me if I was obviously visible.
That seems unlikely as long as you are legally lit and reflective. Any driver alleging that they couldn't see a legally lit and reflectored vehicle is basically admitting that they themselves were driving faster than they could see - at best. At worst, they'd be admitting their eyesight fell below the required standard to drive. There is an insurance case where something like this was tried after a collision with a motorcyclist and it failed, but I don't have the citation to hand.

Magistrates or a jury might fault you for not being dressed like a space lemon, but they might well hate you anyway for being a cyclist!

Ultimately, the top priority is to do what works, so someone doesn't hit you and all this is moot. Ugly clothes don't work.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
That seems unlikely as long as you are legally lit and reflective. Any driver alleging that they couldn't see a legally lit and reflectored vehicle is basically admitting that they themselves were driving faster than they could see - at best. At worst, they'd be admitting their eyesight fell below the required standard to drive. There is an insurance case where something like this was tried after a collision with a motorcyclist and it failed, but I don't have the citation to hand.

Magistrates or a jury might fault you for not being dressed like a space lemon, but they might well hate you anyway for being a cyclist!

Ultimately, the top priority is to do what works, so someone doesn't hit you and all this is moot. Ugly clothes don't work.

Right, what reflective tape should I get for the bike?

Also, looking here
https://bikeability.org.uk/find-a-course/?la=Leeds

They talk about :
Balance
Bus
Fix
Learn
On show
Parents
Recycled
Ride
Transition

When I tried a demo bike in Leeds from Evans, I went into the bus lane, and did move from one lane to the other though this is in a pretty busy city centre so people aren't going very fast. I did also ride on the road, but again it's perhaps easier in the city centre

I don't know how to fix my bike either. What do you recommend for someone who's not a parent, has ridden a bike before, found it pretty easy to get back on with the seat slightly lowered down, and I've ridden in the bus lane

I also rode one in Madrid, but I guess that's busier

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go with the cheaper stuff that can be replaced. Reflective strips on bike etc, ankle bands, added reflectives on bags/rucksack/pannier. The reflective clothing is good, but it will deteriorate with washing. Night Vision clothing is quite good, and all purpose. Reflective helmet, not possibly great as that's out of the range of car headlamp aim.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have the Mountain Warehouse version of the ProVis which I wear over my usual thin down jacket. I only wear it when it is properly dark where it is incredibly reflective. I don’t bother with high vis in daylight or dusk, preferring just my red jacket. My bike is pretty visible with reflective tape and reflective sidewalls, my dynamo lights also have reflective parts too.

OP
OP
A

anonymous

Regular
I have the Mountain Warehouse version of the ProVis which I wear over my usual thin down jacket. I only wear it when it is properly dark where it is incredibly reflective. I don’t bother with high vis in daylight or dusk, preferring just my red jacket. My bike is pretty visible with reflective tape and reflective sidewalls, my dynamo lights also have reflective parts too.

What stuff would you recommend? Ie: which brand of reflective tape, sidewalls and dynamo lights?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I was really impressed by my friend's Proviz jacket when out on a night ride with him. Then, when on a shopping trip to Bristol, I happened upon a store that had just one of them in. Size 2XL it was too. I was momentarily excited, despite the exorbitant cost (well over £100 ... I forget exactly how much), thinking my missus could get it as a combined birthday and Christmas present. Then I tried it on. Ridiculously small fitting, so not an option for me anyway.

My fall back kit is a fold away high viz vest that I always keep in the car in case of emergencies, and take with me on some bike rides in case it gets dark. Bought it in Gloucester open air market for £5. Wore it on an audax lately that finished after dark. My mate eventually tired of the glare from it when riding behind me, and overtook me to do the last two miles without being dazzled. £5 or over £100? Now which is it to be? Decisions, decisions.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What stuff would you recommend? Ie: which brand of reflective tape, sidewalls and dynamo lights?
It is all much of a muchness, the tape is 3M (red on the back of the bike, white on the front) from eBay, tyres are schwalbe and the lights are Busch and Muller plus RFR running from a cheap Shimano DH-3D32 hub. You really don’t need to spend a fortune at all. If you are planning a dynamo setup, then look on German retailer websites such as bike-discount.de as it will be cheaper and you will have a wider range.

Top Bottom