Reflective tape (Be seen, Be safe)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I'm just about to start doing some serious pootling on a daily basis now the "dizzy" spells have worn off from the meds I'm on.

I'm after some reflective trim to attach (sew) onto my sadly dark blue w/proof jacket (zip in /out fleece, vent zips, free from my last job, I ain't complaining ! ).

I'm also after some strips, whatever, to attach to my front forks, rear stays.

The drivers round here are nutters (maybe not, the roads are a lot narrower to what I've been used to) so apart from my lights I want to give them no opportunity to say they couldn't see me.

TIA

Abitrary

Elmer Fudd said:
I'm just about to start doing some serious pootling on a daily basis now the "dizzy" spells have worn off from the meds I'm on.

I'm after some reflective trim to attach (sew) onto my sadly dark blue w/proof jacket (zip in /out fleece, vent zips, free from my last job, I ain't complaining ! ).

I'm also after some strips, whatever, to attach to my front forks, rear stays.

The drivers round here are nutters (maybe not, the roads are a lot narrower to what I've been used to) so apart from my lights I want to give no opportunity to say they couldn't see me.

TIA

Just worry about your lights. Get the biggest best ones with the most strident names possible e.g.

-cateye shadowmaker
-halfords yeti

The minute you start worrying about all that reflective stuff you are doomed.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
helicopter tape is just clear protection for your frame....

wheel reflectors work really well and move so cause a lot of attention. as for tape on the frame, 3m scotchlite stuff works well.
I'll find a link for something decent later

bonj2

a reflective jacket. £1.99 from aldi/lidl/wilkos/ebay. or if you've got a rucksack you use, reflective tape from ebay.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm hoping to roadtest some refective clip-on spoke things in the next couple of months - little strips of scotchlite that clip around your spokes. I reckon if they are near the hub end, they'll pick up light from ahead and behind as well as from the sides...

Similar effect could be got with little snippets of scotchlite tape I guess.

bonj2

Arch said:
I'm hoping to roadtest some refective clip-on spoke things in the next couple of months - little strips of scotchlite that clip around your spokes. I reckon if they are near the hub end, they'll pick up light from ahead and behind as well as from the sides...

HeadInHands.jpg

Have a look at these. I used the Aldi equivalent of the flashing bands last winter - they kept everything at bay.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...4&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003152c003244

Danny

Legendary Member
You can get self adhesive yellow reflective strips made out of the same sort of material used on Sam Brown belts. They are about 6" long and I put one on my rear mudguard in the winter.

They stand out really well in traffic and in some conditions show up as well if not better than a rear light.

I also have a pair of reflective cycle clips.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got two big rolls of reflective tape, red and white/silver from a chap on ebay - 5m of it and when cut to bike tube width, there would be enough for a long long time. £5 per roll. Been on through all weathers and hasn't come off.

Abitrary

Spend your time / money, thinking about / buying lights.

You can put them where you want, and it's a lot more fun, and they look a whole lot better in your shoeboxes full of bike bits than rolls of tape

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
I nicked a reflective tabard from work and I wear it when on the bike. Works day and night.

Crazy. Relying on static reflective technology. The fabric under it wears out like batteries as well.

If I had to swerve the car to avoid an incident and had to take out a reflecting cyclist or one who had bothered to buy equipment that lit up the road for everyone else as well, I wouldn't hesitate in mowing down the reflective one

Top Bottom