Reflective thing fell off my front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
You'll get them from any bike shop and they will be known as spoke mounted cycle reflectors!

T x

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Considering its made of plastic and very brittle plastic at that, i very much doubt anyone would fall off if one of them got caught in the wheel.

They look naff , but the do a good job of reflecting light, so all good imo

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
In response to Crackle, I see your point!
I have always found that spoke reflectors just dissapear over time, fall off etc. looks like I've been lucky enough not to have taken a spill when losing one!

I have one on my back wheel which lights up blue but it is held in position by small screws.

T x

bianco

I hate them things, I find they unbalance my wheel and over 25mph they cause a wobble.

And most of all they're dangerously fugly

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Any reflectors that attach using nylon clips(usually white in colour)are best avoided as they become very brittle over time. I've got flashing LED valve covers on my trike and they do the job just as well and look better.

T x

Tynan

Veteran
sound snobby to me

new wheels never come with one in my experience so it's a first wheel kinda thing

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Maybe there's a BSS rule that means you have to sell a new bike with wheel reflectors?

I had to put my new flashing one on the MTB as it was a gift from my little 'un, wouldn't have any truck with them otherwise.

Tx

simonali

Guru
My bike still has them fitted in the pics I took, but that's because I didn't have any long nosed pliers to undo the clip fings. First time I ride it to work, where most of my tools are, they'll be in the bin!

Saw a guy side on with them on his bike when I was in the car a few nights ago and they are very effective, so I think I'm gonna track down some tyres with reflective sidewalls (providing they don't look too naff in daylight).

atbman

Veteran
simonali said:
Saw a guy side on with them on his bike when I was in the car a few nights ago and they are very effective, so I think I'm gonna track down some tyres with reflective sidewalls (providing they don't look too naff in daylight).

They're largely a waste of time, since they don't show up at a sufficient angle to enable you to see the cyclist before he arrives in front of you. If you are coming out of a side road, they therefore only show up when rider is directly front of you. Ooops! Too late!

Seeing it under those circs simply indicates that, either there's no light on the bike (or you would have seen him/her before that) or you're not paying attention.

I suspect that "firefly" type flashing lights (screwed on to schrader valves) are more effective and at a wider angle. Much better to have decent lights f&r

simonali

Guru
He was directly side on to me and directly in front of me as I was approaching a roundabout and he was going around it. Under those circumstances they worked very well and I wouldn't have seen his lights (if indeed he was using any) because a) they generally only give out a small amount of sidelight (with "decent" ones this is usually none at all) and B) the main thing that catches the eye is the rotating reflector anyway.

cyclebum

My front one only lasted a short while and gave me a shock when it snapped off. Keep feeling guilty I haven't replaced it but I'm not so bothered now. One of my pedal reflectors has come off though, suppose I should really replace that one, I don't really do any night riding but with the weather as it is at the moment!!! I've even finally invested in lights which I haven't felt I've needed before now. I bought some that have the option of flashing which as a driver I find the rear flashers more noticable, but I was informed on purchase that technically they are illegal, is this true? B).

Top Bottom