Reflector / rear light position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

wooster

Although completely illegal, when commuting a few years age, I had a red led flashing light on the off side seat stay and a Blue led flashing light on the near side seat stay. This in addition to a light on the seat post.

This was very effective and more than one motorist stopped after passing me and asked me where I got them from!

Was that illegal solely due to lack of a reflector?

Sharky

Guru
Was that illegal solely due to lack of a reflector?

It was the "Blue" that was illegal.

simongt

Guru
The position of a rear lamp has become an interesting one. Back in t'day, pretty much the only place a rear lamp could go was on the offside seat stay. Now, it appears that the majority of rear lamp fittings assume that there is enough seat pin showing to mount one on there. If you have a rack, there are a number that will fit onto the back of the rack and not all saddlebags, seat packs, panniers and the like have a lamp mounting strap fitted.
Interesting how 'fashions' change.

freiston

Veteran
Yes, I remember having a dynamo light on my bike as a kid. I wasn't sure if the law had changed or was different for reflectors. So a reflector is good there. That's that sorted then. Thank you.

A good number of us use dynamo lights now. Modern hub dynamos are very efficient and modern LED dynamo lights are astoundingly good - not least because just about all of them conform to German StVZO (better than the virtually defunct BS Kitemark). Modern dynamos also have a "standlight" function which means that they stay on for a few minutes when you stop, for example, at a junction. The downside is that you get a lot of people telling you that you've left your lights on when you're locking it up etc.

My rear dynamo light is mounted on the rack and has an integral reflector. I have a full compliment of pedal reflectors too.

If you're ever stuck for a lighting/reflector mounting solution, SJS Cycles is a good place to check out - they have a very good selection of brackets etc.

Reactions: mjr
The Varia is great but its battery is less so (I think the new one with integrated camera is worse). So if I am doing a decent ride or a night time one I always back it up with a 2and light. I must admit with two descent lights and reflective clothing I see no need for a reflector.

Under the rear rack is the best location for permanent rear lamp. The only problem is routing dynamo wires. Mine go on top of the mudguard. Everything is protected from knocks and bashes but it could be neater.
I have smashed a couple of rear mudguard lamps. Seatpost lamps are easily covered by clothing.

freiston

Veteran
My dynamo wire to the rack-mounted rear lamp goes from the front light down the underside of the downtube, under the BB, along the NDS chainstay to the dropout and then wrapped around the mudguard stay which brings it to pretty much the right position for the lamp.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Going back to reflectors and visibility, a moving source is much easier to see than a static source, hence pedal reflectors being so good. Nothing saws "bike" more to a motorist than orange blobs moving up and down.

When i used to commute thru London I used 3m reflective tape on pedals that didn't have built in reflectors, a strip around rear stats and front forks (to give side on vision (useful in towns at junctions etc. and a bit on the cranks to as the move.

At one point I had those tyre fly led dust caps, which are also mega visible from straight or side on.

I also use 2 lights at each end, one static, one flashing.

Can vouch for pedal reflectors. They let me see a numpty riding on an unlit dual carriageway late at night.
Dressed in black - no lights but my headlights picked him up 100s of meters away.

If he had any other reflectors - they weren't as recognisable as the pedal ones.

Alex321

Veteran
Pedal reflectors are the best, and many pedals no longer have them. Checking those would be my priority.

I've never understood this.

Pedal reflectors are a legal requirement if riding in the dark, yet very few clipless pedals even have anywhere you can fit them, never mind having them as standard.

IMO, they shouldn't meet the relevant standards if they don't have the legally required reflectors when sold. I presume that they can get away with selling them because they may only be used in daylight.

I don't have them on mine, and am not happy about that, but there is no way of fitting any. I think reflective tape on the crank arms near the pedals (as suggested above) is probably the best answer for this winter.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Shimano do various clip-on reflectors for SPD and SPD-SL pedals, although this means that with some pedals you lose one side of the clip-in option. My commuter hack has SPDs with a reflector platform on one side of each pedal.

I've never understood this.

Pedal reflectors are a legal requirement if riding in the dark, yet very few clipless pedals even have anywhere you can fit them, never mind having them as standard.

IMO, they shouldn't meet the relevant standards if they don't have the legally required reflectors when sold. I presume that they can get away with selling them because they may only be used in daylight.

I don't have them on mine, and am not happy about that, but there is no way of fitting any. I think reflective tape on the crank arms near the pedals (as suggested above) is probably the best answer for this winter.

A lot of cycling shoes have reflective heels or at least reflective bits on them.

The rules only apply to whole bikes - clipless pedals are sold separately.

Sharky

Guru
The rules only apply to whole bikes - clipless pedals are sold separately.
I was always of that understanding, but just looked up rule 60 of the highway code and it does say that pedal reflectors must be fitted.

So don't know when the stricter rule came in.

For the last 20 years or so, I have always worn reflective slap bands on the ankles when riding in the dark or twilight.

My view is that slap bands are more effective than pedal reflectors as they can be seen 360 degrees.

I wonder if slapies satisfy the legal requirement?

Top Bottom