Reflector / rear light position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
A lot of cycling shoes have reflective heels or at least reflective bits on them.

The rules only apply to whole bikes - clipless pedals are sold separately.
Reflective heels, whilst better than nothing, are not enough to cover the requirements of the law, which demands reflectors front and back.

It is a legal requirement to supply a new bike with various legal requirements such as reflectors and a bell, although there is no legal requirement to use them for daylight use, so they can be removed at the user's discretion. Bikes sold for self-assembly must include these things along with instructions for their fitment.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Under the rear rack is the best location for permanent rear lamp. The only problem is routing dynamo wires. Mine go on top of the mudguard. Everything is protected from knocks and bashes but it could be neater.
I have smashed a couple of rear mudguard lamps. Seatpost lamps are easily covered by clothing.
Some chromoplastic mudguards can act as dynamo conductors and have short press-stud leads to make the connections.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wonder if slapies satisfy the legal requirement?

No, they don't.

1663838643575.png

A lot of cycling shoes have reflective heels or at least reflective bits on them.

The rules only apply to whole bikes - clipless pedals are sold separately.

I don't believe I've had a bike sold to me with pedals for a good 30 years.

Oh tell a lie. My Brompton. And that did have reflectors on.

presta

Guru
The position of a rear lamp has become an interesting one. Back in t'day, pretty much the only place a rear lamp could go was on the offside seat stay. Now, it appears that the majority of rear lamp fittings assume that there is enough seat pin showing to mount one on there. If you have a rack, there are a number that will fit onto the back of the rack and not all saddlebags, seat packs, panniers and the like have a lamp mounting strap fitted.
I wouldn't want my lamp on the luggage, not only do you lose the mounting when you're not using the luggage, but it might waggle around and point in the wrong direction.
I don't have them on mine, and am not happy about that, but there is no way of fitting any. I think reflective tape on the crank arms near the pedals (as suggested above) is probably the best answer for this winter.
My toeclips are in the way of putting them on the front. I tried them on the back for a while, but took them off when I realised they were the cause of my sudden inability to flick the pedals slickly and effectively when putting my feet in the clips.
I was always of that understanding, but just looked up rule 60 of the highway code and it does say that pedal reflectors must be fitted.
Shops leave the pedals off so that if you use reflectorless ones it's you breaking the law, not them.

freiston

Veteran
I wouldn't want my lamp on the luggage, not only do you lose the mounting when you're not using the luggage, but it might waggle around and point in the wrong direction.

My toeclips are in the way of putting them on the front. I tried them on the back for a while, but took them off when I realised they were the cause of my sudden inability to flick the pedals slickly and effectively when putting my feet in the clips.
Primary rear lamp would need to be fixed to the bike (including racks/mudguards) to be legal.

iirc, years ago when I used toeclips, on bog-standard trap/quill pedals, the reflector could be used in place of bolts/screws to mount the clips. But I also recall that my Lyotard platform pedals could not take a rear facing reflector - no mounting holes (or even a suitably orientated surface for mounting holes) but a big tab for assisting getting the foot onto the pedal and into the clip.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I was always of that understanding, but just looked up rule 60 of the highway code and it does say that pedal reflectors must be fitted.

Some recumbents are exempt and clearly pedal reflectors are a waste of time on such bikes anyway.

Top Bottom